Drummer with custom IEM seal issue
Jul 29, 2009 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kipmarshall

New Head-Fier
I have been testing out some ACS T2's for onstage use, and I've been having some sealing issues. As I am playing, the underside of the IEM loses its seal. It's as if my ear is pushing the bud up and out. It is mostly an issue on the right side, but does happen on the left. Are there any drummers who have had this issue? I am a very intense drummer and move my head and jaw A LOT! Should this be an issue?

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm not sure if ACS T2's are custom fitted or just ear buds. If they are ear buds that would explain why your losing seal. custom fitted in my experience do not lose their seal unless the inner ear impressions you had made were not done correctly. There is a new iem company out there called drm earz. Looks cool, They are designed by a drummer for drummers. Anyway, I have personally been using custom fitted in ear monitors for approximately 15 years now so if you have any questions i would be happy to help if i can......... cheerz

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 4
Should not be an issue if you get them fitted correctly. You need to have your impressions done with your jaw open. Their silicone material should give you the best seal possible and will allow you to get them very tight when your jaw is closed because they give a bit.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry for the late reply. I am brand new to Head-Fi. I have always gotten the best results making impressions from talking normal while the impression material sets up. Not from a bite pad or holding your jaw open. Here's why: a bite pad makes you clench your jaw. Thats not normal unless you clench your jaws while you play. You'll be a better drummer if you learn to relax while you play. Next, when you make impressions with your jaw open it allows too much material in the ear canal causing the actual molds to be too tight in the end result. Yes you do get the isolation, but quite a lot of ear fatigue as well. The idea is to be able to wear iem's for long periods of time without your ears hurting. Don't feel bad, most custom iem users go through the same thing a couples of times before they get their impressions right..... Murdock the Drummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back