Drum 'n' Bass
Apr 4, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
ok.. Ed Rush, J Majik, DJ Die? That's pretty old-skool bro -- I mean, those are early selections from their repetoir my friend.

Check out the mixes I posted for samples of that kinda stuff.. those full albums have no samples, but are just as good and same type of sound.

How old is "old-skool"? I don't care how old or new, I just like it. Gimme more!

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
No, no, that's not the genre. This is called "drum 'n' bass" as a separate genre. Electronic drums and synths.

OK, then you want "Tango In The Night" then.

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
Assuming you're talking about the genre of electronic/dance/D&B/jungle... I'd recommend:

Mixes:
Planet V - UltraRecords
Dieselboy - the 6th Session

Albums:Stakka & Skynet - Clockwork
Bad Company UK, aka )EIB( - Digital Nation
Decoder - Concussion
Ed Rush & Optical - The Creeps

(I have a soft spot for Tech-step & Jungle)

Albums are hard to find, most of the good artists are from the UK.

I also like this compilation:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...372533-0123814

At Home at Sunrise

1. Greece 2000 (Moonwatcher's Of The Sea Of Tranquility Remix) - 3 DrivesMusic
2. Go (Inub Mix) - MobyMusic
3. Paperbag - GoldfrappMusic
4. The Crow - DJ FoodMusic
5. Beautiful Strange (Ambient Beats Mix) - BedrockMusic
6. Deus - Electric Skychurch
7. Smoke - Sabers Of Paradise
8. Jaberwock - Solar Stone
9. Beautiful... - Mandalay
10. 7 Days And One Week (Sindaar Remix) - BBE
11. Cafe Del Mar (Michael Woods Remix) - Energy 52

Apr 4, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
I used to like the "drum 'n bass/jungle" style... before the doors of proper IDM were opened to me. One of the albums I enoyed was Modus Operandi, by Photek. If you like the genre, you might like to give that a try.

Some other names in the genre that garner attention are Roni Size, Dillinja, and Goldie*

My friend was sort of into the genre, and he lent me a CD that was... OK. That disc was a various artist compilation called Breakbeat Massive

If you are interested in stepping a bit out of the "drum n bass" set, you may want to give a chance to certain albums by Squarepusher and Aphex Twin (Tom Jenkins and Richard D. James, respecitively). They both employ a lot of breakbeats and complex rhythms... but usually shape their songs in a more interesting fashion than a lot of pure drum 'n bass.

Some of the more drum 'n bass-like albums by Squarepusher (these are a bit more accessible, in terms of people into drum 'n bass will almost definitely like them):

Feed Me Weird Things
Selection Sixteen

And by Aphex Twin (this one may be a little bit harder to get into, but it may open the doors to something you rather enjoy):

Richard D. James Album

If you find yourself really getting into breakbeats and other forms of electronic music, make sure to visit one of the electronica threads on head-fi. there are a ton of great suggestions there.

* "Goldie" -- random bjork tidbit of the day... Goldie used to date Bjork!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd reccomend Burningn'n Tree from squarepusher as well, it's my favorite from him.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #22 of 49
Mike, don't bother worrying too much about all these genre names right now, a lot of the time they're just a pain in the ass anyway. I'd suggest you download some of the stuff suggested and come back with what you liked. That'll help. From there you'll at least have a jumping off point in reading old electronica threads. Apart from that I'll go way out on a limb here and recommend Adam F.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #23 of 49
<sigh>

I might sound a bit boring but, all that stuff you guys recommended is *way*
too hard and fast for this dude (considering his age.. unless he's some kind of really weird
old dude.. which I'm presuming he isn't). You all go and tell him to check out Bad Co and
Photek.. Heh. You're not going to make a new dnb-head with him by suggesting this
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally like many kinds (...) of dnb and I think the one that would suit old people
(not meant in a bad way) would be chill-out/atmospheric dnb. Like stuff on Good Looking
records. You should try out stuff by LTJ Bukem (any of his Progression Sessions cd's
are total sweetness, if you see any..!). If you want a really good CD that wouldn't
be too hard/agressive, try 'Counterforce : A Collection of Deep Beats
(Mixed by Vapourspace)
' on FFRR. REALLY good CD, nicely mixed, top notch
tracks.

But if ever you're into hard stuff.. the stuff the guy (can't remember his nick) suggested
(EIB, Photek, Stakka & Skynet, Decoder) are kinda good. Not all nice but yeah, I guess. All his
suggestions are old though
very_evil_smiley.gif
... Lemme know what you thought of my suggestions.

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 49
i listen mainly to trance and house mix stuff,but here are some of my favorites. i really like "incredible sound of drum and bass" mixed by goldie. I like most of the deiselboy stuff also. if you want to listen to IMO the best electronic music out there get any john digweed, sasha, sasha&john digweed,seb fontaine, paul oakenfold,sandra collins. find me in members and email me,i'll burn you some sample stuff and mail it to you.

Apr 5, 2003 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Aong
a good drum and bass album is propellerheads- decksanddrumsandrockandroll . It may not be 'old skool' enough for some of the people here, but i like it.

Ah, "Take California" and "History Repeating" are grrreat tunes. I wish those guys made more stuff like this.

My drum`n`bass recommendation:
"Progression Sessions" - LTJ Bukem & MC Conrad

Apr 5, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
<sigh>

I might sound a bit boring but, all that stuff you guys recommended is *way*
too hard and fast for this dude (considering his age.. unless he's some kind of really weird
old dude.. which I'm presuming he isn't). You all go and tell him to check out Bad Co and
Photek.. Heh. You're not going to make a new dnb-head with him by suggesting this
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally like many kinds (...) of dnb and I think the one that would suit old people
(not meant in a bad way) would be chill-out/atmospheric dnb. Like stuff on Good Looking
records. You should try out stuff by LTJ Bukem (any of his Progression Sessions cd's
are total sweetness, if you see any..!). If you want a really good CD that wouldn't
be too hard/agressive, try 'Counterforce : A Collection of Deep Beats
(Mixed by Vapourspace)
' on FFRR. REALLY good CD, nicely mixed, top notch
tracks.

But if ever you're into hard stuff.. the stuff the guy (can't remember his nick) suggested
(EIB, Photek, Stakka & Skynet, Decoder) are kinda good. Not all nice but yeah, I guess. All his
suggestions are old though
very_evil_smiley.gif
... Lemme know what you thought of my suggestions.

Just bear in mind what I liked from the CD's I mentioned. "Trancy DnB"

Apr 5, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Sigh. I don't know the terminology you're using. I'm old, OK?

Sorry, I should have specified more clearly... the names I mentioned are group names, not genre labels.

Apr 5, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Just bear in mind what I liked from the CD's I mentioned. "Trancy DnB"

''Trance DnB''... I guess you mean melodic? And by that I'm guessing not 'hard' dnb? That's
pretty much what I recommended you to check out. But then again, ''Trance DnB'' is probably
the funniest oxymoron I've ever seen.
tongue.gif
Just don't go talking about trance to a dnb head.. If
you wanna keep yours
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back