drum-n-BASS headphones=DJ headphones?!
Nov 27, 2007 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ERSTD

New Head-Fier
Good time of the day everyone...
Please help me in search for new headphones

Type of music : Drum and Bass, Heavy Techno/Gabba/Hardcore, Instrumental Hip hop and whatever finds its way into my computer...Other use for headphones will be computer gaming...

Source of sound: Computer with creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum sound card.[Manual claims card can supply 32-ohm load], no amp...

Type of cans:Closed
Spec: mdr-v700 replacement, which is :
Driver Unit ≥50mm
Frequency Response in range of 5Hz - 30,000Hz or better
Impedance ≥32 ohms [mdr-v700 have 24ohms]
After reading Head-fi, i know they destroyed some of the music, while delivering that incredible bass but that what kept my ears happy for good 3-4 years.
Budget: 300
Looking forward for yours replies.
Thanks in advance!!

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 17
BeyerDynamic DT770pro

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 17
Thank very much for the replies!!
Definitely thinking about DT770 but i'm a bit hesitating with regard of their Impedance, which is 80 ohms...while the sound card can only can supply them with Impedance of 32 ohms...[Although i'm using X-Fi's front plate/drive which does have addition power coming from power supply of the computer-could that mean that it could supply more Impedance if needed or am i one confused individual and there is no connection between power and impedance of the 1/4" headphone jack of the front plate?]
Other models came into my research radar...:
Ultrasone PROLINE 750 [40ohms]
Technics RP-DH1200 [?ohms]
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 SV/Denon DN-HP1000 [36ohms]

Would love to hear more input-keep them coming!!
Thanks in advance!!

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 17
If you're up for IEMs (not necessarily great for DJing), check out the Future Sonics Atrio m5. Superb bass response, and can be found for as little as $130.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERSTD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely thinking about DT770 but i'm a bit hesitating with regard of their Impedance, which is 80 ohms...while the sound card can only can supply them with Impedance of 32 ohms...[Although i'm using X-Fi's front plate/drive which does have addition power coming from power supply of the computer-could that mean that it could supply more Impedance if needed or am i one confused individual and there is no connection between power and impedance of the 1/4" headphone jack of the front plate?]

The impedance spec for the output says that it can drive 32 ohm loads without running out of current prematurely. Higher impedances are always possible, of course, as far as the output voltage swing allows the desired volume.

The DT770 isn't bad if you're into that kind of bathtub-shaped frequency response (quite handy for gaming) and good isolation. The 32 ohm version (our of Beyer's "Manufaktur") won't be all that much louder than the 80 ohm one though - nominal impedance isn't everything. I would prefer the highest impedance version that can still be driven to more than sufficient levels by your equipment. Guessing that the headphone amp in the front panel will be running off +/-5 V, that leaves an output voltage swing of maybe +/- 3.5 V. The DT770-80 should be OK there.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 17
I'd get the older 770 Pro/250 ohm and buy a good value amp for the other half of the money. The DT-XXX really need an amp, plus I think the older 770 sounds better.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get the older 770 Pro/250 ohm and buy a good value amp for the other half of the money. The DT-XXX really need an amp, plus I think the older 770 sounds better.

I can't speak for the new DT770, but the older 80ohm version is almost uniformly preferred to the 250ohm version.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 17
Just a small side note.

Labels applied to headphones is almost always for marketing and never for their actuial purpose. "Gaming Headphones," "DJ Headphones," "Stereo Monitors,' etc. There are certainly headphones better suited to each of these environments then others, however the headphones that actuially label themselves as such (with a few exceptions, V6 first that comes to mind) are almost never in that category.

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for the new DT770, but the older 80ohm version is almost uniformly preferred to the 250ohm version.

True, but this is mostly because the 80ohm are easier to drive and also have a bit more balanced sound. Since the OP is actually looking for an unbalanced 'smiley face' response, the 250 might make them happier as long as they're driven well enough.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Chu, thank you very much for the side note, its exactly what i was asking in my title of the post.
If a music producer that focuses on bass, performs in DJ headphones[Sony, Technics]. Could it mean that DJ headphones delivers the heaviest bass and best isolation for easy mixing?! or i been brainwashed with marketing and any well driven closed type headphones with proper specification can deliver the bass i'm looking for...?!

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 17
i can't tell you what you are looking for in a DJ headphone that qualifies them as DJ headphones, but "heavy bass" and "isolated" seem to be what people are going after when this topic comes up previously.

It's probably not so much that headphone makers are brainwashing you in terms of what is needed but moreso what they can deliver. The best example off the top of my head is the V700DJ. These have an absolute ton of bass, but their isolation is not exceptional, the bass is incredibly flabby, and the rest of the spectrum is really odd. That doesn't mean you don't want what they claim to deliver (good isolation, lots of tight and accurate base) but when it comes to actuially delivering them you're much better off with other options.

As a small sidenote, Sony is not completly ignorant of these issues. The response against the V600 (which was supposed to replace the V6) was so negative amongst recording engineers that they were pretty much forced to bring the V6 back.

Technics headphones never come up around here for some reason. I couldn't tell you why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back