Drum music suggestion!
Jan 20, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I have a question about Excellent sound Drum music CD. I have a Sheffield Drum Record, which sounds very very good. Can you guys suggest me some good Drum CD?

Thank you.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 22
Try music released by:

Art Blakey
Terry Bozio
Elvin Jones
Billy Cobham (And the Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Tony Williams
John Coltrane (both Ali and Jones demonstrate some of the best drum work ever recorded onto a physical format!)
Gene Krupa
Buddy Rich (Krupa and Rich did a lot of duet recordings together which are just AMAZING!)

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 22
* Sonny Rollins - 'Saxaphone Collosus' -> If you would like to hear jazz drumming but aren't sure you like Jazz try this one

Max Roach's performance on the first track "Saint Joan" is what really got me turned on and fascinated by drumming. I swear he has 3 arms when I listen to that. The disc is super easy to listen to and can be enjoyed by almost anyone.

* Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - 'Moanin' -> Moanin' is a jazz classic that anyone most anyone would be familiar with and I am pretty sure you would enjoy. It also features the drum spectacular "Drum Thunder".

* Dave Burbeck - 'Time Out' & 'Time Further Out'-> This is another easy listen. "Take Five" as it says in the liner notes was never meant to be a hit it was meant to be a Joe Morrello drum solo.

These are all easy listens that aren't drum centric albums but feature top notch drummers and each album contains at least one outstanding solo. My latest drumming discovery is Omar Hakim of Weather Report playing with Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter. I am a big Weather Report fan but Hakim along with everyone else is on fire at this concert. Their performance of Cantaloupe Island will really knock your socks off. If you are interested in hearing it please feel free to PM me.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 22
The first Drum Nation disc, Volume One, is pretty good. Includes performances from Terry Bozzio, Josh Freese, Simon Phillips, Chad Wackerman, Marco Minnemann, Bill Bruford, and others.

Plus a stellar duet from Steve Smith and Zakir Hussain.. neither of which I had heard of prior to this disc.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 22
How about Drum Solo CDs? By the way, I just order few Art Blakey CDs from Amazon.
biggrin.gif
And I love them after I listened simple files on Amazon.

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Joe Morrello and Dave Brubeck are truly amazing, I must agree. A drummer friend of mine said that the solo in take five is supposed to be one of the best of all time.

If you want to see/hear some amazing technical snare drumming, check out some professional Marching Corps. Like the Drum Corps International (dci) search for videos online. Their techinque and control is phenomenal.

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Mickey Hart (of ex-Grateful Dead) plays all sorts of percussion under the sun. He has released a number of albums under the title "Planet Drum", and the original is still my favorite.

Every nationality has drums of sorts; the Japanese Kodo is famous in the West. The Chinese has Yim Hok-man who plays rousing durm-based traditional music. If Africian Drumming is your thing, then go for Babatunde Olatunji, especially the Love Drum Talk album.

All these CDs are immaculately recorded

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 22
Don't forget Cab. Tony MacAlpine, Dennis Chambers, and Bunny Brunell.. tasty.

Dave Weckl's band is alright, but the only recording I've ever really enjoyed from them was Synergy.

For drum solo CD's, check out the Drum Nation discs.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 22
I almost mentioned Dave Weckl's - 'Multipliciy'

I am pretty sure the album would be fairly drumcentric. I have only listened to it at a virgin megastore listening station though. It sounded good enough to buy but I am not at all intimate with it.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 22
I fully concure with all of the Art Blakey suggestions.

Nass Marrakech - Sabil 'a 'Salaam is a very cool West African disc with excellent drumming; it is also exceptionally well recorded.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 22
Well, there are all sorts of percussion things. Have you thought about marimba CD's? What about percussion ensembles?

Some marimba CD's that are easy to listen to:

Nancy Zeltsman: Woodcuts
Nancy Zeltsman: See Ya Thursday
Keiko Abe: Marimba Fantasy

There are many more, but I really like those 3 CD's.

-A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back