Drum & Bass music by me. Suggestions/Comments?
Aug 11, 2008 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Xeo

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm Kaifeng. I've been making electronic music for a few months now and it would be AWESOME to get you're opinions and suggestions about ANY aspect of my new drum & bass track called "Haunted Hero". I do actually take what you have to say seriously, so it's much appreciated. Here's a link below....

SoundClick artist: Kaifeng - page with MP3 music downloads

Actually I intended it to be DnB when I first started making it, but it morphed into a little bit of something else :: shrug ::.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 11
I was expecting this to be a lot worse than it is

I think the composition and feel of the song is actually pretty nice, and that your sounds are weak - without depth and texture, like you're working with some really pee gear or software

i think some really crisp / silky movements with hi-hats would be workable in here, and tasteful. just toggle w/ith the math in their arrangement some

biggest complaint summary - the bass is weak, and it's too vital to d&B to leave it so

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the input. Yeah I agree the bass is weak >_<. Gotta work on that. And as far as it sounding "cheap". I guess i gotta work on my ear for this kind of thing because I didn't think the sounds sounded cheap, but it's better to have an outside unbiased opinion, so thanks :- D

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 11
feel free to contact me over an instant messenger.. have them all listed under my name here - if you want to really dissect your production

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 11
I more or less agree with Luminette. Musically, I think the track is strong, more so than quite a bit of the commercial jungle out there.

I think it could be improved by some more 'crazy'. Louder, punishing low-end, crazy snares, toms and hats and creative uses of envelopes. The track could benefit from some pre-mixdown EQing and panning as well to make the drums and synths more distinct and salient. As it is now, some of your voices sort of 'hover' in the same spot.

That said, for only doing production for a few months, I'd be quite proud of this track.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 11
This definitely has a lot of potential IMO. I cant really suggest too much on the technical side of things. Nice work in the rhythm section. I especially like the intro and the (build up to) full-on parts. I think the piano sound is a bit dull.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dir_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked it...definitely more bass. Personally i like D&B with more dynamics, it sounded kinda flat but still very good job i know i couldnt do what you did.

Thanks! Good think you pointed out the flatness. I hear it now.

BUMParoni and cheese.

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUMParoni and cheese.

the name of your first album
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back