Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #541 of 654
i don't think velour pads can improve the low bass as those leather pads do, velour absorbs some of the impact from my experience, the leather seals like nothing else and i think that is the reason for the improved bass response
if you don't like the feel of leather just EQ the bass, they have no problem with that, the driver is very capable
I trust and I agree with your opinion on this from personal experience. I changed my leather pads with velour in my Meze 99 neo and the bass has been tamed considerably.

Since the HIFIMAN are more open and the ears can be ventilated better maybe the leather is not so much a bad choice after all.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #542 of 654
5XX came in today. I don't know what it is but intiial impressions are: so much flatter in every single thing I've tried it, compared to the 400i 2020's I've had for the past 2 weeks.

The 400i sounds lively and full. The 5XX is incredibly dull and flat. Not sure what's up with it. I didn't need to "break in" the 400i's or get used to the sound - they immediately sounded much fuller than the AKG 701 before it. Now the 5XX came in and it's such a downgrade. I'm going to try burning it in with variable white/pink noise for 24 hours but I don't really have hopes.

The cable and headphones themselves also feel a lot cheaper than the 400i 2020s. Not to mention the 5XX costs ~$50 more than the 400i's.

Totally lacking bass compared to the 400i's, and the higher treble-like notes almost sound like shrills - much harsher and less pleasant/rounded vs the 400i.

Nothing good to say about this headset when put against the 400i 2020. Completely overshadowed =/ maybe the 5XX are more analytical? Maybe that's how to explain the flatness I'm describing. But I expected them to be more dynamic and fun if anything vs the 400i's.

Not sure what else to say. Will burn them in and compare again, but I feel like these will be going back and I'll be keeping the 400i 2020's and being super happy with those!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #544 of 654
Yeah, they're going back. I burned them in, and used them for most of the day yesterday and half the day today to get acclimated to the sound. Then did A/B testing again vs the 400i 2020. Hands down the 5XX sounds incredibly flat and lifeless compared to the 400i. No question about it, I personally MUCH prefer the 400i.

The 5XX reminds me a lot of the AKG K701 I had before it. It was my first mid/hi-fi headset and I enjoyed it and the clarity. But when I tried the 400i 2020 it felt like a big upgrade. The 5XX reminds me of how the K701 felt overall - good at first hearing compared to low end consumer headsets, but when I switch back to the 400i, it is much improved and nicer - immediately noticeable.

Maybe the 5XX sound profile just isn't my cup of tea, or my DAC/amp just can't bring out the best in it like it can with my 400i 2020.

It's clear and neutral sounding, but it isn't interesting or lively or dynamic, and notes seem to tend to get muddled/mixed in together at times. It's like a pancake for breakfast (5XX) vs a sausage and eggs and beans and mashed potatoes (400i 2020).

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #546 of 654
The build quality are totally different, too. The 400i 2020 is meaty feeling and quite a bit more premium feeling. The cable is braided and much nicer and doesn't get in the way, something I can't say for the soft rubber material the 5XX cable uses. It extends to how it plugs/clicks into the headphones themselves.. the 400i 2020 "clicks" into the headphone ports very security and satisfactorily, like a proper machine connection - almost a magnetic connection feel if you know what I mean. The 5XX hooks up softly and loosely like a typical connection from most headphones.

The 5XX are lighter, but in a bad way. They sit too light on the head and mildly tilting your head feels like they will slide off. They don't inspire confidence. The 400i 2020 sit much firmer on the head while being even more comfortable than the 5XX somehow.

The 5XX is comfortable, but 400i is quite a bit more comfortable and re-assuring in the way it sits. I've been using it all day every day on my head since I got it and it feels even more comfortable than the comfort-acclaimed Bose QC35 I have as well. Actually more comfortable since 400i has valeour pads on the ends vs the all faux leather of the Bose QC35 which causes heatspots/sweating where they sit after a couple hours. Not a problem with the 400i.

Sorry, it totally wasn't my intention to come on this thread and seem to badmouth an otherwise well received headset (5XX). Just when I compare to the 400i 2020.. the 400is are better in every regard I can think of. The only pro I can give the 5XX is that human voice sounds somewhat nicer. For example watching YouTube video reviews of people. Not that 400i was anything to complain about.

Just figured I'd leave my thoughts here for other people to decide for themselves or order both like I did to compare. And hey, maybe with a different amp/dac it'll be a different story all together (actually this prompted me to make a post in the advice forum section here for amp/dac recommendations, after experiencing this weird 5XX dilemma).

I wish I could provide and make the comparison in more technical terms, but since I don't know that type of knowledge and am a total newbie in the hifi space, I gave you my best impressions and comparisons with the vocab I know.

At the end of the day I think the 400i 2020 at $160 is a great price. But $220 for 5XX is awful and makes no sense (assuming my amp/dac isnt' a problem, which it may well be, event though these headphones shouldn't require vastly different power requirements.. right?).

A $99 price point for the 5XX sounds more appropriate when you take in cable, build quality/feel, and sound into account, if I'm being completely honest.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #547 of 654
But $220 for 5XX is awful and makes no sense (assuming my amp/dac isnt' a problem, which it may well be, event though these headphones shouldn't require vastly different power requirements.. right?).

Maybe it is your hearing and your headshape that is the problem? For instance, I don't have the issue you describe as far as tilting my head. :wink:

Best to see it as sound signature and comfort are both individual preference things.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #548 of 654
Maybe it is your hearing and your headshape that is the problem? For instance, I don't have the issue you describe as far as tilting my head. :wink:

Best to see it as sound signature and comfort are both individual preference things.
Could be. But it definitely feels loose on the head. I'm 5'8 and 140lbs, so "skinny" by American standards but healthy by doctor standards and normal by EU and other parts of the world standards. K701 and the 400i and Bose QC35 sit and feel great on my head. On the opposite end of the spectrum Phillips Fidelio X2HR felt like a vice grip on my head!

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #549 of 654
As someone who loves the HE-5XX and think it's the best thing ever when it comes to value in the audio world, I can see where he is coming from, sort of. The HE-5XX are very spacious and out-of-head, this can effect the intimacy of the headphone and to some this can sound less involving. I don't think they lack bass but they have lifts in certain areas that make them sound top heavy but not in the way of being fatiguing. Very good vocal headphone, voices do sound amazing, arguably better than any of the headphones in my list in that area, a personal preference thing.

I found the 400i quite a bit less resolving, sharper, aggressive, less natural but I could see why one would prefer that headphone as it is more involving where as the HE-5XX is like placing a small room over your head in comparison. The Ananda shares these trades and I find the HE-5XX more related to Ananda and Arya, than the 400 line or the older Hifimans which had more of a solid bottom heavy sound with some treble funk.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #550 of 654
Drop + DHL is sending my HE5xx all over the states before coming to me.. are there no airports in every state? 😞 4 days and it hasn’t even left the country yet gosh…

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #552 of 654
As someone who loves the HE-5XX and think it's the best thing ever when it comes to value in the audio world, I can see where he is coming from, sort of. The HE-5XX are very spacious and out-of-head, this can effect the intimacy of the headphone and to some this can sound less involving. I don't think they lack bass but they have lifts in certain areas that make them sound top heavy but not in the way of being fatiguing. Very good vocal headphone, voices do sound amazing, arguably better than any of the headphones in my list in that area, a personal preference thing.

I found the 400i quite a bit less resolving, sharper, aggressive, less natural but I could see why one would prefer that headphone as it is more involving where as the HE-5XX is like placing a small room over your head in comparison. The Ananda shares these trades and I find the HE-5XX more related to Ananda and Arya, than the 400 line or the older Hifimans which had more of a solid bottom heavy sound with some treble funk.
I think it's a good intro to planar headphone, but not the best introduction of planar bass. It introduces the imaging and clarity side of planars. I usually find Hifimans to have more or less good vocal timbre (I guess better female than male).

We hope for stronger bass with the new Hifimans, correct? I hope to hear more bass impact with newer stuff they will release.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #554 of 654
or blutak I read? Just worry about using too much and spilling into the mesh

You can use a simple tape mod to greatly improve the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back