DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 15, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #751 of 767
I wonder if a neckband style BT adapter with 3.5mm sockets exists (vs MMCX or other) on both ends. Kind of pointless to try to use TWS adapters for the Elegia. I don't think the UTWS3 would be able to drive them well either.
The Elegia is made to be portable it's 35 ohm with over 100db/mw and gets MORE than loud enough from iPhone dongle which is 5mw at 32 ohms, the UTWS3 is pushing 25 so that is minimum +6db which is quite a lot... Only bad part is your using a formerly $1000 headphone with a quality of dac and amp that fits in an ultra small form factor and for $80, but it sounds good on iPhone it's very resolving and even detailed but making most things sound smooth IMO...

I just don't want to pay $60 for the connectors that will break that ship from USA(or the high quality ones that come in a $100 pack...), or for MMCX when I have 2 pin IEMs, I am trying to find someone on Aliexpress to give the proper right angle male 2 pin to male 3.5 TS/TRS

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #752 of 767
The Elegia is made to be portable it's 35 ohm with over 100db/mw and gets MORE than loud enough from iPhone dongle which is 5mw at 32 ohms, the UTWS3 is pushing 25 so that is minimum +6db which is quite a lot... Only bad part is your using a formerly $1000 headphone with a quality of dac and amp that fits in an ultra small form factor and for $80, but it sounds good on iPhone it's very resolving and even detailed but making most things sound smooth IMO...

I just don't want to pay $60 for the connectors that will break that ship from USA(or the high quality ones that come in a $100 pack...), or for MMCX when I have 2 pin IEMs, I am trying to find someone on Aliexpress to give the proper right angle male 2 pin to male 3.5 TS/TRS
I have to push the Elegia to about 50% with my iFi Go Blu in balanced mode (with quieter recordings). You can get it up to volume with a dongle, though you have to push that pretty hard too.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #753 of 767
I have to push the Elegia to about 50% with my iFi Go Blu in balanced mode (with quieter recordings). You can get it up to volume with a dongle, though you have to push that pretty hard too.
You must like loud music, I am on pandora right now over iPhone dongle, full volume and they are literally too loud to listen to comfortably... The numbers don't lie, obviously 100db+/mw is theoretical and not average, however 5mw is literally over 106db.... should be about 107 I think.... 25mw is literally over 12db extra... the Fiio UTWS5 as a backup plan(which doesn't have eq) is pushing above 33... that is over 15db... mind you both of these are minimum, the specs list these numbers as equal to OR greater than.... Sorry bud but if I literally cannot listen to pandora on max volume on dongle for me they have more than enough juice and if anyone doesn't believe me launch pandora or youtube and listen to something, I don't listen to flacs or music files so -15db recordings aren't an issue, these headphones are literally louder than any other consumer grade headphones I have ever tried, that should be crazy high sensitivity and every single one of my IEMs.... I am going to buy the UTWS3 and have the best pair of wireless headphones with EQ under $500, many reviewers consider the Elegia very close to the Clear and I agree, so barring some crazy downgrade from the source for headphones that frankly sound pretty good on my iPhone to anyone who doubts it I guess if for some reason their source music is bumped down 10+ db I have nothing but shrugs for them, I listen to the most common sources for music, youtube, pandora.... even on my $5k stack and it works for me, I only listen to lossless audio for movies, so with the UTWS3 I for sure see no reason to change that and upgrade from easily accusable sources that have proper volume levels for consumers since I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

If someone else with Elegia and iPhone wants to test on the dongle with youtube I would be happy to have their input.

Surprised nobody has already done this tbh...

EDIT- Wanted to make sure my dongle power stats were correct, apparently between 5-33mw is normal via
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
which literally still makes 25mw more than loud enough since I am not even at 70% iPhone volume..... it's literally 115db....

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #754 of 767
You must like loud music, I am on pandora right now over iPhone dongle, full volume and they are literally too loud to listen to comfortably... The numbers don't lie, obviously 100db+/mw is theoretical and not average, however 5mw is literally over 106db.... should be about 107 I think.... 25mw is literally over 12db extra... the Fiio UTWS5 as a backup plan(which doesn't have eq) is pushing above 33... that is over 15db... mind you both of these are minimum, the specs list these numbers as equal to OR greater than.... Sorry bud but if I literally cannot listen to pandora on max volume on dongle for me they have more than enough juice and if anyone doesn't believe me launch pandora or youtube and listen to something, I don't listen to flacs or music files so -15db recordings aren't an issue, these headphones are literally louder than any other consumer grade headphones I have ever tried, that should be crazy high sensitivity and every single one of my IEMs.... I am going to buy the UTWS3 and have the best pair of wireless headphones with EQ under $500, many reviewers consider the Elegia very close to the Clear and I agree, so barring some crazy downgrade from the source for headphones that frankly sound pretty good on my iPhone to anyone who doubts it I guess if for some reason their source music is bumped down 10+ db I have nothing but shrugs for them, I listen to the most common sources for music, youtube, pandora.... even on my $5k stack and it works for me, I only listen to lossless audio for movies, so with the UTWS3 I for sure see no reason to change that and upgrade from easily accusable sources that have proper volume levels for consumers since I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

If someone else with Elegia and iPhone wants to test on the dongle with youtube I would be happy to have their input.

Surprised nobody has already done this tbh...

EDIT- Wanted to make sure my dongle power stats were correct, apparently between 5-33mw is normal via
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/
which literally still makes 25mw more than loud enough since I am not even at 70% iPhone volume..... it's literally 115db....
I did say quiet music. I also have sound check on since Apple's Dobly Atmos stuff is mastered extremely soft so the volume swings from that were really annoying. My average listening level is about 70-75 dB (based on what my iPhone says I listen to my AirPods at).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #755 of 767
I did say quiet music. I also have sound check on since Apple's Dobly Atmos stuff is mastered extremely soft so the volume swings from that were really annoying. My average listening level is about 70-75 dB (based on what my iPhone says I listen to my AirPods at).
If there is any resource you come across that is a good reference for some of the lower sound level you might encounter that I can use I can promise you when I am testing and writing about it in the Elegia thread I can at least give my opinion of it is loud enough with it and if not by what margins, and I am sure it would greatly be to the benefit of anyone else considering doing this as well. The potential delta from dongle to the bluetooth unit is certainty smaller than I anticipated and I am unsure of what power output my specific non-OEM dongle is running.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #756 of 767
If there is any resource you come across that is a good reference for some of the lower sound level you might encounter that I can use I can promise you when I am testing and writing about it in the Elegia thread I can at least give my opinion of it is loud enough with it and if not by what margins, and I am sure it would greatly be to the benefit of anyone else considering doing this as well. The potential delta from dongle to the bluetooth unit is certainty smaller than I anticipated and I am unsure of what power output my specific non-OEM dongle is running.
I have a pair of Elegia already that I run out of the iFi Go Blu (but also have tested with various dongles). Just about all of Apple’s Dolby Atmos stuff would be something considered mastered quiet. Since I’m listening with 256 AAC anyways, the hit from going BT isn’t bad at all IMO.

Feb 16, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #757 of 767
I have a pair of Elegia already that I run out of the iFi Go Blu (but also have tested with various dongles). Just about all of Apple’s Dolby Atmos stuff would be something considered mastered quiet. Since I’m listening with 256 AAC anyways, the hit from going BT isn’t bad at all IMO.
Thank you, I am going to post some info here as I am already testing it on my iFi Micro BL with what I BELIEVE is 18mw... This is based on numbers from a couple websites and me thinking my math and logic is good, if I am wrong I would appreciate if anyone chime in. This is more for my benefit so I can preview things on my PC before getting the UTWS3, obviously these are approximations.

My amp is on "high sensitivity" and ECO mode.
Per the Amazon listing page, the voltage on eco mode is 2V output,

Eco mode- 2.0V/500 mW @ 8 Ohm (max), > 250 mW @ 16 Ohm (continuous)

this is coming from a ~0.5ohm resistance per Crinacle's website, in high sensitivity that is ~4 or ~8x meaning the watts @ 35 ohm(114.2857) is 1/8th,
https://crinacle.com/2019/02/02/ifi-micro-idsd-black-label-in-the-hands-of-a-non-believer/

13.285...mw @35ohm is approx the max power for the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label in Eco mode with high sensitivity on, which I have it on now
at full volume, it is again too loud, so with ~13mw or whatever this is outputting in relatively low power youtube is way more than ok

This reading makes sense to me since this is a good load for IEMs probably and that is what this combined mode is for.... Just from anecdotal evidence knowing it's made to drive IEMs safely it is already comparable to the UTWS3!

I cannot seem to find exactly what you are referring to, but I did notice many FLAC's I have seem to be much lower when playing them vs youtube's audio... likely because youtube's audio is mixed to be played over phone speakers as well

max volume is 5 o'clock

so with a few flac files and assuming around 13mw @ 35ohm max power, I prefer things slightly below what I would consider Average

Time - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (HD Remastered) - 3-4o'clock is comfortable

Dua Lipa -Levitating - is just before 3o'clock, max hurts

Money - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (HD Remastered) - Volume knob is maxed, I would enjoy maybe a bit more sometimes if I wanted to jam out, but it is OK I would say this is my average listening level, considering 2x power is +3db I think +3db would be "perfect"... obviously this assumes 13mw is fairly accurate!

US And Them - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (HD Remastered) - even lower volume, due to the way the dynamics are though I would say this is about my average listening volume, but only having +3db might not be enough for someone including me to jam out too

Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin (HD Remastered Deluxe Edition) - max volume is a little too high, average listening is between 2 and 3 o clock

Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin (HD Remastered Deluxe Edition) - max volume is a bit over my listening, on the fence if +3db is enough to jam but I think for most people it's just enough, again for me 2-3o'clock is normal

Anyway I would post more but I want someone to check my math, and regardless all these numbers are based on ~ ohm numbers...

I would say if my method is correct one can assume the power in this mode is between ~13-26mw which is more or less on the upper end the same as the UTWS3 since it is greater than/equal to 25mw....
I can see what you are saying where volume is indeed becoming a problem, if +3db is available I think it's fine and TBH would rank right along most other good volume level BT headphones sound volume anyway, if this is the upper limit it would still rank besides many BT headphones, just with the sets that are more average.... I however do NOT think it would be on the low/bad volume side, but it is indeed very close so I cannot say for sure without just trying the UTWS3.... I will post my finding with the same songs then and see how it stacks up but I hope this extra info I am posting well help others understand and make a good choice... if Fiio makes another unit with say something like 70mw + EQ and around $100 I think this would 100% be a slam dunk though, we are getting very close to making many good headphones able to simply be wireless with these adapters, and in the recent head-fi canjam youtube video I believe I saw the deva adapter is now able to be used with other Hifiman headphones which was the eventual progression as things got better vs just making the unit smaller/lighter!

EDIT- I have gone ahead and ordered all parts, I was able to get them 1 trip, and found reasonably priced adapters.... that said I added something in so total price is around $250, I will be posting something on this later, items arrive monday because I didn't want to pay $10 for next day shipping :p

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #758 of 767
Has anyone experienced the issue where the headphones are unable to turn on? The headphones detect being charged, but that's it. Resetting does nothing, and I am unable to power them on at all. Performing a soft reset does nothing either, and the only thing that works aside from using them in passive mode with the 3.5mm jack is the charging led. Trying to turn it on only turns the white led on for a second, which then abruptly turns off. My computer also doesn't recognize it and says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I have no idea how this happened, as I literally powered and set them down to eat lunch for a couple minutes and when I picked them back up, they were completely bricked.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #759 of 767
Are anyone else’s Pandas still holding up? Mine are still pristine, thankfully

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #761 of 767

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #762 of 767
Are anyone else’s Pandas still holding up? Mine are still pristine, thankfully
Nope, mine are dead - only good for working in passive mode.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #764 of 767
Mine are GREAT, early bird adopter here!
How do you make sure you headphone swivels don’t snap? I make sure the headphones fit a bit more curly into my head and they feel comfy

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #765 of 767
Mine are good, early adopter as well. Never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back