DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Jan 8, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #736 of 767
Sigh... why can't we have nice things?

I have 2 units, 1 originally replaced under warranty for nipple issues (Hah!). Looks like I'll have to be careful with them moving forward. Is there anything even remotely comparable currently in the wireless realm? (IEMs need not apply.) I'm not a fan of what noise canceling technology does to the sound signature.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #737 of 767
Looks like this is now an abandoned product indeed. There were lots of brand new Pandas with minimal packaging popping up in Taiwanese online shops that went for as little as $70 to $100 with a 7 day warranty, sure looks like the local factory just dumped their entire inventory.

Lots of users reported Bluetooth DOA with their units, QC issue I suppose? Mine from the first batch is still working (knock on wood)
How satisfied with the sound quality are you? I owned an Oppo PM3 and rather liked it and had been on the fence about the Panda. What a shame, clearly the potential was extremely high. Hard to figure out how given the amount of time in development this headphone was that there would be such an engineering bungle as seems to be the case.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #738 of 767
How satisfied with the sound quality are you? I owned an Oppo PM3 and rather liked it and had been on the fence about the Panda. What a shame, clearly the potential was extremely high. Hard to figure out how given the amount of time in development this headphone was that there would be such an engineering bungle as seems to be the case.
I really like my set, but only with EQ. The original tuning is a bit muted/muddy sounding, and EQ (I use Wavelet auto EQ with a bit of customization on top) really helps. The one thing that EQ doesn’t seem to help with is a lack of “dynamism” - note are all a bit soft. Despite shortcomings, I am really happy to have these to reach for when a Bluetooth over ears set is called for.

BTW, my pair are also from the first batch sent out and I have never had any problems.

EDIT: I never updated the FW, so that may have been part of my good fortune.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #739 of 767
The speed at which Drop abandoned the Panda is a bit surprising, but it's always a risk buying from a company that's expanding into a new area. Judging by the number of broken Pandas always on eBay failure rates must have been much higher than Drop was prepared to deal with. Clearly some engineering and/or manufacturing missteps took place
When the supposedly-hardcore-headfi-er-co-founder of Drop being featured on video by Jude, that was a lot of trust currency there. When the BT did work, it was great but seems the issue started popping up ever since the doomed firmware update was rolled out to enable the EQ app

Looks like this is now an abandoned product indeed. There were lots of brand new Pandas with minimal packaging popping up in Taiwanese online shops that went for as little as $70 to $100 with a 7 day warranty, sure looks like the local factory just dumped their entire inventory.

Lots of users reported Bluetooth DOA with their units, QC issue I suppose? Mine from the first batch is still working (knock on wood)
Many people link it to the doomed firmware update, to the point that Drop has to add a rollback feature so people can return to the original firmware. Go figures.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #740 of 767

I’m quite satisfied with the Panda given my SoundID firmware works and is not broken. Sucks that so many owners can’t enjoy this feature which is definitely a game changer. Definitely worth its price tag when everything works.

We have people buying the $100 Pandas and don’t care if the Bluetooth or the battery dies eventually, at least you can still use it as a wired headphone. The sound quality alone makes it worthwhile.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #741 of 767
Using the Pandas with custom EQ sounds perfect with LDAC 990kbps enabled. The Pandas originally come flat sounding, but it can turn to a completely different headphone with soundid EQ. However I'd only recommend them if you can buy them new with warranty intact.

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #742 of 767
I got a pair of these free a couple weeks ago, and made some alterations that I think really made it better overall... But it seems the right side gets more power then the left somehow :S (got them because the battery is dead or something, only takes AUX) anybody noticed this with AUX? Sucks because I got the sub-bass going on the right and it feels very nice actually hearing a lot of rumble and it's extremely clear but the right is just different... that the left first thing that comes to mind is of course power or mismatch but... well anyway anybody notice pretty noticeable imbalance plugged in? talking 3+db

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #743 of 767
I got a pair of these free a couple weeks ago, and made some alterations that I think really made it better overall... But it seems the right side gets more power then the left somehow :S (got them because the battery is dead or something, only takes AUX) anybody noticed this with AUX? Sucks because I got the sub-bass going on the right and it feels very nice actually hearing a lot of rumble and it's extremely clear but the right is just different... that the left first thing that comes to mind is of course power or mismatch but... well anyway anybody notice pretty noticeable imbalance plugged in? talking 3+db
Have you tried wearing them back-to-front? Does it sound the same to your other ear (probably good to rule that out...).

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #746 of 767
I’m one of the few who downloaded the firmware and installed the Sound ID app. These are definitely something special. There are other details I’ve never heard with other wireless cans except the Sony WH-1000XM4. Considering I got these for about $250, I’m very lucky. Wonderful set of headphones

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #747 of 767
I’m one of the few who downloaded the firmware and installed the Sound ID app. These are definitely something special. There are other details I’ve never heard with other wireless cans except the Sony WH-1000XM4. Considering I got these for about $250, I’m very lucky. Wonderful set of headphones
we will see about that after I find the proper right angle MMCX to 2.5mm adapter to pair the Fiio UTWS3 to the focal elegia, it will have near the performance of the focal clear(except for source quality), totally wireless, balanced, and with built in EQ thru Fiio's app for $379+ ~$100:p add a modmic wireless and you might just have the best bluetooth gaming headset in the world until someone hooks them up to something summitfi that is made for portable use!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #748 of 767
we will see about that after I find the proper right angle MMCX to 2.5mm adapter to pair the Fiio UTWS3 to the focal elegia, it will have near the performance of the focal clear(except for source quality), totally wireless, balanced, and with built in EQ thru Fiio's app for $379+ ~$100:p add a modmic wireless and you might just have the best bluetooth gaming headset in the world until someone hooks them up to something summitfi that is made for portable use!
I’ve got plenty of wired cans like the Focal Clear and Sony sets that hook up to the Sony TA. Considering how I’m using the Pandas as wireless only, they do the job and more than I could ask for

Feb 15, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #749 of 767
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck resurrecting a 'bricked' pair of Pandas? Mine worked fine up until the firmware update, then worked 'occasionally' afterwards. Mostly I just get a pulsing white light when trying to charge them/connect them to my Mac, no hint of startup noise nor visibility on Bluetooth.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #750 of 767
I wonder if a neckband style BT adapter with 3.5mm sockets exists (vs MMCX or other) on both ends. Kind of pointless to try to use TWS adapters for the Elegia. I don't think the UTWS3 would be able to drive them well either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back