DROP + THX Panda Announcement
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #241 of 767
Analog is completely passive. You can't use the THX internal Amps there. I got this from a Drop rep themselves.

As for usb working for audio, like I said, that is UNINTENTIONAL, and it's not a feature of the Panda (also something Drop told me, as well as not being advertised as a feature whatsoever). It will likely be removed on post release, because you can tell it's not working like a normal usb headphone in that regard. If it was, volume control would work, and volume wouldn't be overbearing at such a low volume setting.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #242 of 767
From indiegogo update a couple days ago, seems usb audio is confirmed and we will get it with the final product.
Based on feedback, we're working on updating the Panda to utilize USB-C as an audio port in addition to charging. We have it functioning on a couple of prototypes currently, but we're still putting it through some testing.

Big takeaways:
1. You can use the Panda headphone wired with a USB-C cable on an Android phone and it will allow you to charge your Panda from your phone while you listen.
2. You can use them wired with an iPad or Macbook and be able to utilize the Panda's onboard DAC for high-resolution audio.
3. You can use the Panda wired while still taking advantage of the AAA amp

Keep you posted on any further developments. Thanks, everyone!

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #243 of 767
Analog is completely passive. You can't use the THX internal Amps there. I got this from a Drop rep themselves.

As for usb working for audio, like I said, that is UNINTENTIONAL, and it's not a feature of the Panda (also something Drop told me, as well as not being advertised as a feature whatsoever). It will likely be removed on post release, because you can tell it's not working like a normal usb headphone in that regard. If it was, volume control would work, and volume wouldn't be overbearing at such a low volume setting.
Would be completely crap if they removed it instead of just improving upon it if it's already functional.
From indiegogo update a couple days ago, seems usb audio is confirmed and we will get it with the final product.
Great.

Now if only they could accept adding some padding, making the "bands" on the side longer to compensate / accomodate for bigger heads as those two things has been some constructive criticism too and then added more $319 slots so anyone who wanted one but was fine waiting could get one then maybe.
I understand their manufacturing equipment maybe even already made parts is what they are but it would still be nice if it could be fixed.
Maybe by sleeving it in some "sock" with a pad underneath or whatever.
I wonder how well my alternative solution of wearing a baseball cap underneath would work =P. not the best solution maybe :)

Personally I haven't had any success in getting in touch with those who make the product.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #244 of 767
Interesting, when I asked, it wasn't a feature. When I reviewed, it wasn't something they had mentioned either. Looks like a very recent development.

And all you get is 16bit/48khz, no volume control, and piercing volumes at 25/100 in system volume.

Judging by the campaign, looks like the decision to attempt usb audio was a few days ago. Its not even on their campaign, but on an update post.

When I have the time I'll update my review to reflect this.

That's very good news. Just adds to the already great versatility.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #245 of 767
Interesting, when I asked, it wasn't a feature. When I reviewed, it wasn't something they had mentioned either. Looks like a very recent development.

And all you get is 16bit/48khz, no volume control, and piercing volumes at 25/100 in system volume.

Judging by the campaign, looks like the decision to attempt usb audio was a few days ago. Its not even on their campaign, but on an update post.

When I have the time I'll update my review to reflect this.

That's very good news. Just adds to the already great versatility.
Could you tell me if pair with a phone with few audio levels like the Xiaomi phones maybe especially A2, Note 7 and maybe Samsung Galaxy S5 how many volume levels are there in the usable range so to say or whatever. Is it easy to get a decent volume level? With that I mean now too loud and not too low.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #246 of 767
I've already sent it back, but through Bluetooth you get plenty of volume levels to adjust, and while wired, the Panda is very easy to drive.

The only issue when adjusting volume at the moment is that the built in controls have too much volume change per adjustment through Bluetooth. So for me I'd have to use the volume control on my keyboard instead.

I didn't extensively test on phones, I apologize.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #247 of 767
I've already sent it back, but through Bluetooth you get plenty of volume levels to adjust, and while wired, the Panda is very easy to drive.

The only issue when adjusting volume at the moment is that the built in controls have too much volume change per adjustment through Bluetooth. So for me I'd have to use the volume control on my keyboard instead.

I didn't extensively test on phones, I apologize.
Do you know if it's the phone or the headphone which decide how many audio levels there is?

It was my impression some phones offered very few. When you say keyboard is that like the Windows / OS X volume controller and then that combined with some other gain thing?

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #248 of 767
I have volume control on my wireless keyboard, and it changes volume every 2 steps out of 100. The Panda's volume control stick changes volume every 6 out of class 100 so it's harder to fine tune your preference with the Panda's control. Both the Panda and keyboard changed the system volume.

As for Mobile, there are ways to fine tune like touch controls for volume. I have an S9, and if I feel like the volume change is too much, I just adjust with touch. Don't really know otherwise. I don't really use headphones with my phone aside from my Koss clip ons at work.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #249 of 767
As for Mobile, there are ways to fine tune like touch controls for volume. I have an S9, and if I feel like the volume change is too much, I just adjust with touch. Don't really know otherwise. I don't really use headphones with my phone aside from my Koss clip ons at work.
Maybe the volume bar is touch sensitive in all android phones. I have had no idea and have never tried I've only used the buttons on the side and felt it's pretty hard to get it right.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #250 of 767
I'm reading folks comparing these to rather expensive headphones. Right now I use corded ATH-M50's for cell phone, Nintendo Switch, and the like. Would these blow them out of the water? I like the sound signature of the M50's, would these be similar? Reading Mad Lust Envy's review it seems these have some low end kick still.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #251 of 767
I'm reading folks comparing these to rather expensive headphones. Right now I use corded ATH-M50's for cell phone, Nintendo Switch, and the like. Would these blow them out of the water? I like the sound signature of the M50's, would these be similar? Reading Mad Lust Envy's review it seems these have some low end kick still.

Coming from an M50, Panda's a whole new world. Would recommend the upgrade if you can afford.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #252 of 767
Some dumb questions: Will these be available to purchase post Indiegogo? Is there any opportunity to try these in the DC area? Will they be available at any of the CanJam's this year or next year to try?

Money isn't the issue. I'm nervous as I have a large head and hearing about the tightness could be an issue.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #253 of 767
@Warder45

Yes, Panda will be available for sale on Drop later this summer.

Not explicitly, we don't have any plans or partners in the DC area.

They'll be at Canjam NYC and others TBD.

Overall, I wouldn't be worried about the headband point. ~20% of those with units have commented on this (the other 80% have no headband problems or feedback) and the broader community made a mountain from that mole-hill. We did extensive headband wear-testing with tons of different head shapes, and I have a particularly large head. Panda's comfortable for everyone, but not in tons of positions. After following up with the 20% of folks who expressed displeasure, most of them explained they later found the correct position (having posted before experimenting with the fit) and issues are resolved.

That said, perception is reality in the world of consumer products, so we're exploring to see if we can support a wider range of wearing angles by adding additional padding to the headband, stay tuned for updates if you back the campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back