Drop (Massdrop) was just acquired by a PC components company
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 19
This post by drop's CEO says that all of drop got acquired by corsair, not just their keyboard division.

Yeah, what I meant is that most of the reporting seems to focus on the keyboard side of things and very little is being written about the audio side of things.

So I hope this isn’t a case in which Corsair acquired the company for the keyboard stuff and the rest just came along for the ride. If so, the audio stuff will get less focus and may languish and die, which often happens with acquisitions. Hopefully Corsair doesn’t do that and gives the audio stuff the focus it deserves.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, what I meant is that most of the reporting seems to focus on the keyboard side of things and very little is being written about the audio side of things.

So I hope this isn’t a case in which Corsair acquired the company for the keyboard stuff and the rest just came along for the ride. If so, the audio stuff will get less focus and may languish and die, which often happens with acquisitions. Hopefully Corsair doesn’t do that and gives the audio stuff the focus it deserves.
Ah, I see. It does seem like they are taking a similar approach to when they acquired Elgato, though only time will tell if anything changes.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 19
Corsair's quality standards are worlds better than Drop's, so I can only see this as a good thing.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Corsair's quality standards are worlds better than Drop's, so I can only see this as a good thing.

That’s good to hear. I’ve seen Corsair’s name a lot but I don’t have much personal experience with them. I think the only Corsair product I own is the power supply to my PC. I’ve also been looking to upgrade the SSD in my Steam Deck, and a Corsair model is currently the frontrunner in my research.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 19
That’s good to hear. I’ve seen Corsair’s name a lot but I don’t have much personal experience with them. I think the only Corsair product I own is the power supply to my PC. I’ve also been looking to upgrade the SSD in my Steam Deck, and a Corsair model is currently the frontrunner in my research.
All their products are, if not top of the heap in their respective categories, at least very well thought of. They have very speedy and reliable RAM, SSDs, their cases and cooling hardware are very solid, keyboards and mice are also solid, and they have quality the best designed and built commercially sold SFF PC in the Corsair One. I've had a lot of Corsair stuff over the years and have never really been let down by any of it.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 19
In the end all that will be left are a few gaming headsets...

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 19
All their products are, if not top of the heap in their respective categories, at least very well thought of. They have very speedy and reliable RAM, SSDs, their cases and cooling hardware are very solid, keyboards and mice are also solid, and they have quality the best designed and built commercially sold SFF PC in the Corsair One. I've had a lot of Corsair stuff over the years and have never really been let down by any of it.
That'd be great news if this were a site dedicated to computer components I guess. I personally don't give a crap about computers, and really love the headphone section of Drop... not stoked about the acquisition.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 19
Jul 18, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 19
That'd be my prediction too.
I doubt it - Corsair has been expanding their business quite a bit over the last few years, and as long as the keyboard and audio side of Drop is profitable they have no reason to get rid of it. Time will tell.

Jul 18, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 19
I doubt it - Corsair has been expanding their business quite a bit over the last few years, and as long as the keyboard and audio side of Drop is profitable they have no reason to get rid of it. Time will tell.

The question is whether they'll be happy selling anything at quantities measured in dozens per month rather than thousands per month. Think about all the little niche models Drop currently offers, and how they'll ramp up small batches of production based on demand.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Fun while it lasted, I guess

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 19
Get ready for Sennheiser x Drop HD6XX RGB Rainbow Vomit Edition powered by iCue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back