Drop 6xx cable on Sennheiser hd 660s phones?
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Would there be anything to be gained sonically by putting the shorter 6xx cable on the hd 660s phones? I assume, the cables are interchangeable? Thanks!
I'd say any audible difference would be highly unlikely.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I assume you are talking about single-ended cables (the 660S comes with both single-ended and balanced cables).

The longer the single-ended cable is, the more noise it can theoretically pick up. However, I doubt you would be able to detect a difference unless the longer cable was laying on top of a power transformer or something. Balanced cables are specifically designed to minimize noise even at long distances.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Would there be anything to be gained sonically by putting the shorter 6xx cable on the hd 660s phones? I assume, the cables are interchangeable? Thanks!
Kind of what I thought, I may have to get another head amp If I can find one with a balance control I think my hearing is a little better in my left ear.
Best thing is download APO equalizer and the Peace front end. In it is a hearing test where it takes you through test tones (make sure it's a quiet room) and builds a custom profile to compensate for hearing in each ear. Free and takes a few minutes, but really worth it instead of guessing to get equal balance manually. Also if it's just certain frequencies, the custom profile will really help.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 7
You'll get a bigger soundstage, more clarity and bass, and a more defined midrange.

No, not really. You'll get a shorter cable. I've heard that the hd650 cable is better than the OG hd600 but have not been able to hear a sonic difference, and there isn't one with the 6xx cable to my limited ears.

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Personally I've found the HD600 cable works best. Plus that red connector... it just looks right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back