DRM Referendum
Jan 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DocHamm

500+ Head-Fier
If you have already read this, I apologize. If not, please check out the Pepsi Did It! article on the upcoming Pepsi Superbowl Giveaway and their ties to Amazon for DRM-free music. It's an interesting and perhaps promising read.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

If Pepsi doesn't give away most of its 1 billion songs, that may be taken as a sign that consumers don't care about DRM.

lolwtf? People not going to Pepsi's website and typing in codes = customers don't care about DRM? I don't get it.

That said I will temporarily be a Pepsi drinker starting on Feb. 1. The stuff isn't nearly as good as Coke though...

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Pepsi wants to make more money as a result of the giveaway. It is a marketing strategy afterall. To ensure they have the best giveaway they figure DRM-free might help. Unfortunately, it could turn out to be a really bad referendum if the end up with as little as they did in the last gievaway.
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stuff isn't nearly as good as Coke though...

Well yeah, you can't snort Pepsi.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 8
well, they need to compete with piracy

here's my future for you:
services like rhapsody replacing ipods in the next few years on cellphones; once 3G gets going and wimax gets started, we'll have the bandwidth to stream, prices just need to come down

a service like rhapsody, search and stream any song ever, no need to download ****loads on your hdd, i think that'll be the future for portable audio in the mainstream; and i tend to think for home audio as well, as prices come down, online services' libraries get bigger, interfaces easier

prices are still too high now, 3G is expensive and spotty, wimax is just coming on the horizon; and no one is doing a service like this, but mark my words, it's the next thing in audio

if apple built an "ipod" or "iphone" or whatever with a service like this, hell, use their itunes repositories and just stream music, hell, that'd do it; in fact, that's what they should ****ing do; scrap the macbook AIR and do that, people would go ape**** for it; any song or audiobook or lecture or whatever you want anytime you want it, that's good stuff, 3G is fast enough for 128kbps

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 8
The only way I would ever go download is A) if the quality of the download is my choice, B) the cost is very reasonable and includes all current art and info, and C) a perfect method of backup. Still, I am just one of those who prefers something tangible in-hand, like a CD. It's a piece of art and a collectable.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 8
as soon as music gets to be streaming only, I will officially stop buying music forever, except of course from the metal and indie labels I know and love who still record on CD's, Vinyl, and even cassette tape. They can have my money. But there is a point at which technology becomes too much and defeats the purpose of the thing it tries to improve. Streaming music and paying for the "privilege" is where I draw the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back