DRM Protection
Feb 9, 2005 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aug1516

Head-Fier
This may have been posted before, but don't know for sure so thought I would share. I recently purchased a DRM protected CD that would only let me rip the cd via WMA format when using a Windows OS. When trying to rip it using standard tools (EAC, Plextools) the song would appear to rip ok but would then skip every second or so. Just for fun, I had my friend try ripping it using Fedora Linux using whatever program it comes with for audio and it worked just great. Also tried ripping using Suse Linux and had the same result.

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 5
you can often get such CDs to rip in Windows by messing with the EAC configuration - just play around with the settings and use one track as a test. I have a copy of Lauryn Hill's MTV Unplugged 2.0 - one disc will only rip with EAC with some weird settings, the other disc will only rip under Linux via my laptop's PCMCIA drive. *shrug*. whatever, I only need to rip 'em once.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 5
I know what I am going to say is not very constructive, but these adulterated CDs contain deliberate errors to confuse computer CD-ROM drives, and Philips is on record stating they do not comply with Red Book standards. You should return them as defective. If more people started doing this, the pigopolists at the RIAA might mend their ways.

If your computer has optical in, you might try playing the CD in a CD player and capturing off that port. I have tried this successfully with DVDs from a Pioneer DV-47A to a Power Mac G5. That's probably why SACDs disable that port
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 5
majid: I do - whenever I buy a CD that turns out to be copy protected, I rip it and return it. If they'll give me a proper version I take that, if not, they're screwed.

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
I know what I am going to say is not very constructive, but these adulterated CDs contain deliberate errors to confuse computer CD-ROM drives, and Philips is on record stating they do not comply with Red Book standards. You should return them as defective. If more people started doing this, the pigopolists at the RIAA might mend their ways.

If your computer has optical in, you might try playing the CD in a CD player and capturing off that port. I have tried this successfully with DVDs from a Pioneer DV-47A to a Power Mac G5. That's probably why SACDs disable that port
frown.gif

I agree. If it can't be used on your equipment, it is defective and should be returned to the point of purchase. Eventually stores will get sick of taking returns and put real pressure on the industry to keep that kind of crap off their discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back