Driving tips from you guys?
Jun 24, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #46 of 57
Drive fast and run over as many pedestrians as you can without stopping.
very_evil_smiley.gif
And if people in the left lane won't get out of your way, just rear end them. If a pig pulls you over, run his ass over too.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #47 of 57
Never get angry when driving....or at least don't show anger.
Never be aggressive while driving. It's not worth the car damage or the bullet from a psycho driver.

Be safe, be courteous, and be perfect around your folks.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb

It pays to yield sometimes even when you have the right of way.

The rest of what you said was good, but the above is poor advice.

ALWAYS take the right of way when you have it, and if someone waves you on when they have the right of way, sit there until they move (unless, of course, they are simply refraining from moving forward to allow you to cross their side of the road).

Why?

Because if you were disregarding the road rules (including right-of-way), guess who's at fault? You.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #49 of 57
Oh, and also, if you need to stop short, don't just slam on the brakes. Steer around the obstacle. If you've got no hope of stopping in time, and the shoulder is clear, better to end up there.

Jun 25, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #50 of 57
Refering to John's comment about yielding the right of way...

Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis

The rest of what you said was good, but the above is poor advice.

ALWAYS take the right of way when you have it, and if someone waves you on when they have the right of way, sit there until they move (unless, of course, they are simply refraining from moving forward to allow you to cross their side of the road).

Why?

Because if you were disregarding the road rules (including right-of-way), guess who's at fault? You.

I don't know about down under, but up here, what John said makes since, both logically and legally. A week doesn't go by that I don't see someone run a stop sign/light (one near my house in particular) and if I hit them with the front of my car then I have to prove that they ran the stop sign (and hope there were witnesses).
frown.gif

Know what a the other driver is supposed to do, but pay close attention to what he IS doing.

Another common occurance: people waving you on. You don't know why they are - they may be nervous (old ladies
eek.gif
), they may be lost and looking around
confused.gif
, they may have car problems (my old eagle was bad about stalling
mad.gif
), etc. If someone gives you the right of way, cautiously take it keeping a close watch on what they are doing.

Basically, every time you meet another car, its a judgement call - develope good judgement.

Another tough one: Merging on the freeway. I always try to pick a car and pull in BEHIND it, provided there is an opening. What is fun
eek.gif
is when I'm on the freeway and someone is about to merge next to me. Do I let them in front or behind me? I basically try to judge how fast they are moving: if they are next to me and accelerating, I slow down - if they are holding steady or starting to slow I speed up or change lanes if its an option. Again, its a judgement call and do it ten times, each time will be different.

Jun 25, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #51 of 57
Having the right of way doesn't mean **** when someone is dead or seriously injured, especially if it's you.

Take the right of way, BUT REMEMBER, the other guy is a bigger idiot than you are. He (she) (it) is a bigger idiot than you can even begin to imagine. Even when you've been driving as long as I have, and driven in big cities, small towns, the country and even foriegn countries. I'm still surprised 3 or 4 or more times a week at the level of stupidity that other drivers show. Even at my own occasionally.

It's your ass you've got to save, but don't kill anyone else doing so.

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #52 of 57
When I was in college I drove a large lumber delivery truck in Seattle to earn some money. There were numerous times when I had the right of way but the other guy did something stupid or was not paying attention. I could have crushed them probably killing someone. It sometimes pays to back off a bit and let them go. Can you imagine killing someones mother? I don't think it would help your mental well being to say "Well I had the right of way"

Jun 26, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #54 of 57
You should all drive on the left hand side of the road like us nice civilised people in the UK
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back