Driving the K271?
Nov 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gossling

Head-Fier
I know this topic has been covered numerous times but the answers I've found are either outdated or well over my $100 dollar budget. Would a CMoy do the job? the Total Bithead do the job? Nuforce Icon Mobile? Mini3? Starving Student? Zero? Or is this an impossible task? Of course I'm willing to buy used or even make a DIY project out of it, but only if there are detailed instructions or guidance of some sort available as it would be my first amp. I don't necessary need an amp that can counter or conceal the inherent flaws of the headphone (not that I object to this necessarily), just something that will eliminate the side effects of inadequate amplification I've read plague these headphones (nonexistent bass, nonexistent soundstage, nonexistent dynamics, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
Look at the Jaycar SS Headphone Amp kit and the matching power supply kit that goes with that. It's a very decent performer despite it's low cost.

The kit instructions are very good and easy to follow, noob friendly I'd say. The price is right as well. Here have a look for yourself..... DIY Factory - headphone amp 2 and the Jaycar page Stereo Headphone Distribution Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics and it's PSU Headphone Amplifier Power Supply Kit - Jaycar Electronics

As you can see the cost is around 50 dollars for both giving you some options for the volume control...either passive using a 20K Alps or you can go active with a preamp kit. You'll still need a chassis for the lot but that is pretty easy to rectify with plenty of choices around the net.

I wouldn't say this type of build is a beginner project but the instructions for both of them are really easy to follow with lots of folks here and on the Rock Grotto forum that can chime in if you have questions or need help. I have built one of these kits (the headamp kit) using my own parts and PSU. It turned out really well and does a great job of amplifying my 600 ohm K240M AKG's and my 300 ohm HD650's. Your K271's should not pose a problem to this amp. It has plenty of oomph behind it.

Peete.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 10
I use Aune Mini USB DAC MK2 in the office with my K271s, the result is satisfying.
That model is sold around $150-$160 on ebay, which is higher than your budget.

However, since the Aune is built from the hifidiy.net's DIY suit, you can find some others using the same design and selling their home made product. (just like cmoy)

USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier(PCM2707+DIR9001+PCM1793) - eBay (item 280418206164 end time Dec-02-09 07:51:33 PST)

This one has even lower price, $120 shipped.
It even has optical input.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm using a Cmoy as a temporary solution until I can find something better in the used forums. It seems to be doing a fine job. It is certainly miles better than my iPhone 3Gs. I don't plan on using it forever but there's nothing wrong with it.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romulus1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Cmoy as a temporary solution until I can find something better in the used forums. It seems to be doing a fine job. It is certainly miles better than my iPhone 3Gs. I don't plan on using it forever but there's nothing wrong with it.

Have you heard the K271 out of a higher quality source as a reference?

Quote:

However, since the Aune is built from the hifidiy.net's DIY suit, you can find some others using the same design and selling their home made product. (just like cmoy)

USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier(PCM2707+DIR9001+PCM1793) - eBay (item 280418206164 end time Dec-02-09 07:51:33 PST)

This one has even lower price, $120 shipped.
It even has optical input.

How do you know that this is the same as the Aune headphone amp?

Quote:

As you can see the cost is around 50 dollars for both giving you some options for the volume control...either passive using a 20K Alps or you can go active with a preamp kit. You'll still need a chassis for the lot but that is pretty easy to rectify with plenty of choices around the net.

Is there any reason I would need both?

So I guess the amps I mentioned aren't ideal for the K271?

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 10
all of my amps drive the K271 adequately. people around here don't rate the BM DAC1 headphone amp highly, but it makes an excellent pairing as well. i don't find the K271 to be lacking in bass or dynamics at all. it's a fun and groovy can to listen to.

if your interested in a DIY project for it, the Mini3 would make a perfect pairing at your $100 budget, but the start-up costs for DIYing will add some chunk of change. it also has 2 SMDs which can trip up a soldering novice. i have no idea what a Mini3 would cost from a builder.

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 10
To be exact, they are not the same.
The Muse is base on hifidiy.net's Mini USB DAC MK1 with added optical input.
Aune (the official brand for hifidiy.net) is actually MK2.
I think the difference won't be that significant in terms of driving K271s.

I used PA2V2 and RA-1 to drive K271s before.
Both of them are fine if you use CD player as input.
But I can feel they are a little under power when using portable source with large scale orchestral recordings.
Aune does not have this problem.

I may prefer RA-1's sound signature a little bit over Aune.
However, given Aune's functions and powerful amplification, I'm satisfied for the price I paid.

It's good for you to control your budget for now.
Because once you can afford the better source and amp, you will also want a pair of better phone.
I tried the K271s on my Grace m902.
It's pretty clear that no matter how you recable or mod the phone, you can't make it compete with the phones in the other league....

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Quote:

Because once you can afford the better source and amp, you will also want a pair of better phone.

I was hoping to find a nice inexpensive source/amp for these and call it quits, actually.

Quote:

It's pretty clear that no matter how you recable or mod the phone, you can't make it compete with the phones in the other league....

What closed cans are in this league?

Thanks again

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Interested in a good pair for the K271 as well.
It´d be interesting to read different opinions about witch seems to be the best amp for this cans and with budget amp can cut it too.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 10
Good for you!

I didn't compare K271s with other closed cans.
My main gear now is GS-1000.
What I said is actually from the experience of listening GS-1000 and K271s side by side with m902 as DAC/AMP.

As for main gear, I think K271s is actually a good choice, it is balanced (someone may say lack of excitement, not for me) with proper amplification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I was hoping to find a nice inexpensive source/amp for these and call it quits, actually.

What closed cans are in this league?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back