Jan 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 34
Alright, so far I have:

Little Dot I+
Woo Audio 6
HeadAmp Gilmore Lite
M^3
Eddie Current ECSS

Anything I'm missing?

Out of this list, I'm leaning towards the Little Dot I+, has anyone had a bad experience with this amp or knows a reason not to get one?

The Woo Audio 6 and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite are a little more than I wanted to ideally spend, but those seem really solid... better than a Little Dot I+?

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #17 of 34
If you have the $, I would skip the I+... It'll give you a little taste of the tube sound, and it does supply a decent amount of current, but I wouldn't use it for more than a placeholder. Look more in to the Gilmore Lite and ECSS, those come up a lot in "Grado amp synergy" threads.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add the Eddie Current ECSS to your list, it's right at $500 and reportedly has excellent synergy with the Grado line.

I concur. The EC/SS has ran all the Grados I have thrown at it with ease. The dark undertones compliment the Grados brighter shades rather well. And looky here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ss-amp-463679/ Appears that there is one for sale for much less than $500! And its a beaut'!
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 34
sampson_smith: Do you prefer the EC/SS or the Gilmore Lite? I noticed in your feedback thread that you have had both in the past...

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wierddemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, so far I have:

Little Dot I+
Woo Audio 6
HeadAmp Gilmore Lite
M^3
Eddie Current ECSS

Anything I'm missing?

I would like to add Mapletree Audio Designs Ear+HD. I bought this amp from many recommendations here and have not been disappointed.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

sampson_smith: Do you prefer the EC/SS or the Gilmore Lite? I noticed in your feedback thread that you have had both in the past...

Hello, sir! Welcome to Head-fi! Yes, I currently have both of them on hand, in addition to a WA6, actually. Too many to handle, really (although the GLite and WA6 aren't mine). The Gilmore Lite is very good and in the same league as the EC/SS. It is brighter, however, than the Eddie Current amp, and may not be the best match for the RS-1. I can't recall who were the ones who said this (oh yeah: asr in his review of the EC/SS, etc., I think) but the RS-1 sounds better on the EC/SS vs. the GLite which was only better with the mellower SR-225's and HF-1's, at the time. I think the EC/SS compares as well to the WA6, in terms of smoothness of sound and that "tubey" feel. Recommended. I just cannot afford to keep it right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 34
Meh... apparently that one is about $35 worth of components in a big expensive wooden box. I haven't heard it, mind you, and it has been said to sound fine, but a bit of a price-gouger if you ask me. Even at $250, which you see it at, from time to time.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh... apparently that one is about $35 worth of components in a big expensive wooden box. I haven't heard it, mind you, and it has been said to sound fine, but a bit of a price-gouger if you ask me. Even at $250, which you see it at, from time to time.

If you had heard it, you wouldn't be thinking about the cost of the components inside........you'ld be wondering how a little wooden box could sound so good with the RS-1s. It's all about synergy, and to my ears, the RA-1/RS-1 is a match made in heaven. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 34
I have really enjoyed both the RS1 and RS2 with my Channel Islands VHP-1/VAC-1. This amp has a warm yet very detailed sound and is dead silent. While it is a nice match for my Grados, it handles every pair of phones I've thrown at it equally as well. Not that you needed yet another option...
k701smile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 34
More suggestions is always appriciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone have any experience with the Millett I linked to above?

Jan 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

What about this amp? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-tubes-463668/

Supposed to be very nice with Grado's. The EC/SS would be my choice of SS amps for the Grado's though. Look at MapleTree MAD Ear + HD. No, I am not just saying this because I have bought it and am getting it soon, but it is apparently one of the best amps for a Grado, especially the RS-1. It is supposed to have very good synergy.

EC/SS
Millet Hybrid MAX
MAD Ear+ Hd

Those would be the three amps I would personally consider for Grado's, above other amps. Gilmore Lite is supposed to be great too but I'd rather the EC/SS.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 34
There are various amps that pair very good with the Grados and depending on your budget and space constraints you should have plenty to choose from. Some of my favorite amps w/ Grados are in no particular order:

1. Mapletree Ear + HD
2. Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3 w/ PinkFloyd mods.
3. Millet Max
4. Solo SRGII
5. EF1 or EF2

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back