Driving the akg k7xx
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Themera

New Head-Fier
Hi guys just a little help pls

Soon i will be getting the k7xx from MD
My current setup is using optical output from my pc trough an old creative audigy soundcard and coaxial from a dvd player to a pioneer reciver ( vsx 816) which i currently use as a dac as ot says it has a 24 bit 192 kHz dac .Then i connect to a bravo v3 amp through the preouts of the pioneer reciver. Currently i drive the ath m50 s and fidelio l1s and imo they sound quite good trough this setup

My question is is the pionner dac good enogh dac to run the k7xx

Thnx heaps

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 4
My question is is the pionner dac good enogh dac to run the k7xx

The DAC won't be "running" the headphone (or speakers for that matter), that's a job for the amplifier. Technically, as long as whatever DAC you use can send a clean line out signal to whatever amp you're using at a proper voltage (I'd sooner use a clean 1.2V from an iPod and compensate with a powerful amp than, say, the "cheating" 4.7V++ output on some cheap DACs), then it's fine for the most part. Differences from one properly-designed DAC to another isn't huge, unless of course you're comparing a proper DAC to one that has some kind of flaw (like an output stage designed to deliberately color the sound). In some cases, especially between older chips, a non-oversampling DAC can sound much smoother than a regular oversampling DAC, but AFAIK older chips did introduce distortion through the oversampling process.

If anything, I wouldn't like using the Pioneer because it's huge. Are you driving speakers with it too?

Then i connect to a bravo v3 amp through the preouts of the pioneer reciver. Currently i drive the ath m50 s and fidelio l1s and imo they sound quite good trough this setup

I'd have more concerns about the V3 driving the K7XX, but hey, you already own it. Might as well try it first, figure out if there's anything "wrong" with the sound, then start another thread to figure out if what you don't like is attributable to the amp or the headphone.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah i run mu speakers trough that reciver as well i got a better reciver vsx1020 in the living room but i prefer to use the one in my room as its bit more private.
The headphone output from pioneer reciver would it be better than the v3s amplification?

Thanks for the insights i will post back once i get the akgs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back