Driving speakers with a headphone amp
Nov 2, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The recommendation for a Class-T amp is good for efficient speakers and small rooms too, if you like the idea of such an amp. It doesn't make a very good headphone amp, however.

YAAAAA, like the Trends TA-10!! check out these links. Pair it with a couple Insignia bookshelfs & you got a killer small speaker setup for under $250

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is that possible? Sure, if you use an opamp with current limiting it won't be damaged, but even 1W rms output into 8 ohms requiress 355mA rms (or 1A p-p) of current output. None of the "normal" audio opamps could achieve that without a separate and stout output buffer stage.

surely it depends a lot on the speakers too. i cant imagine that i'd run as much as 1w into my speakers too often.. probably more like 1/3w, which may be doable with a headphone amp

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surely it depends a lot on the speakers too. i cant imagine that i'd run as much as 1w into my speakers too often.. probably more like 1/3w, which may be doable with a headphone amp

Either you have tremendously efficient speakers, or you listen at very low volumes...
tongue.gif

The OP says he has "small 2-way speakers" which usually means efficiency in the mid-80dB SPL range at 1W and 1 meter distance. While that's is a healthy amount of SPL with only 1W of power (especially in small rooms), music can have peaks of far higher SPL even though the average level is well below 85dB. Each 3dB of additional headroom means doubling the output power requirement.

Many (perhaps "most") headphone amps except a few of the really studly ones can't even function properly with an 8 ohm load. You may experience much higher distortion, greatly reduced voltage swing capability (premature clipping), and generally degraded performance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back