Driving headphones out of a portable DAP VS Amping.
Dec 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
I've always read in almost every forum dealing with full-sized  headphones that amps are neccessary to "drive" a headphone, but up till this point I haven't exactly found the reason why this is so. Is it to do with volume (etc. on high impedance headphones) or other factors which I may not be aware of? I have a SR60 which can be driven fine from an iPod volume-wise, albeit with subpar soundquality due to the bad HP-out, but I'm sure this wouldn't be the case with Cowon players or others of the same ilk. Or would this not be a good standpoint to base my assumptions on, given the low 32Ohm (I think?) resistance of the SR60?

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 5
Impedance is not the same as sensitivity (how loud a headphone will go). An amp is required to provide the headphone with more current, thus increasing the control of the transducer over the diaphragms.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Isn't the added current meant to overcome the greater resistance? O.O Could you explain how the amount of current affects the transducer/diaphragm?

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Some mp3 players offer true line-out audio signals(through dock) like ipod classic, others like S-Flo2, Sony X1060 and they need decent AMPs to sound even much more clean with power than DAPs headphone alone and control volume. But to me cable play key role to makes sound even better or just average, so if you compare ALO 18AWG pure Cryo or 18AWG Cryo X Silver line out dock cable with ALO 22AWG Cryo or cotton silver cable and 18AWG Cryo or 18AWG CXS are much better sounding cables, you will hear the clear difference.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 5
  Some mp3 players offer true line-out audio signals(through dock) like ipod classic, others like S-Flo2, Sony X1060 and they need decent AMPs to sound even much more clean with power than DAPs headphone alone and control volume. But to me cable play key role to makes sound even better or just average, so if you compare ALO 18AWG pure Cryo or 18AWG Cryo X Silver line out dock cable with ALO 22AWG Cryo or cotton silver cable and 18AWG Cryo or 18AWG CXS are much better sounding cables, you will hear the clear difference.

good explanation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back