Driving HD650s
Nov 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DylanWave

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi!

This is my first post - I've been to Head-Fi a few times in the past, but decided to join and post as I'm looking to upgrade my setup.

I'm using a pair of HD598s with the Fiio X3 for portable use and a CMoy for my turntable. 

I wasn't thinking about upgrading until I went to a tech store near me and tried on the HD650s. They were on clearance at $375 and I'm seriously considering scraping together some money for them. The HD598s are a bit too bright for me, bordering on painful at times, and I like the darker sound signature of the HD650s. Surely they'll also be a lot clearer as well (I'm going back to give them a better listen later). It seems like an upgrade worth the price tag.

My only problem is that while doing research, I came across a lot of people saying that the HD650s can't be driven well with a Fiio X3.

What are my options for driving them? I'm looking for something cheap for the time being - something that works just fine until I can afford another upgrade. Should I go for a portable amp like the Fiio E11 (which can be had for $50 on eBay) or can I make a CMoy that will drive the HD650s sufficiently? (I'm really good at soldering and decent at electronics)

Also, is there some way of telling what type of amp (in terms of output - I'm guessing the wattage is what I should be concerned with) I need to drive headphones of a certain impedance?

EDIT: My only requirement is that the amp is somewhat portable. Just enough so that I don't have to be tethered to an outlet.

Thanks in advance!

-Dylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back