Driving HD650 Balanced with DAC1
Oct 18, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 70
Maybe I'll have Zu make me a custom Mobius with female Neutrik XLRs...

and Happy Birthday, btw - you're a metal-head who is all about the music which is pretty rare.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Maybe I'll have Zu make me a custom Mobius with female Neutrik XLRs...

and Happy Birthday, btw - you're a metal-head who is all about the music which is pretty rare.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could also have them made into the standard double male XLR termination, and have short gender changer (female XLR on both ends)adapter cables. This is if you intend on upgrading to a Standard Balanced Gilmore (or Dynahi) or Blockhead in the future. Of course, you could go the other way. Have female XLR now, and use adapter gender changer cables later.

Or go the more expensive route. New cable each time.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 70
By the time I can afford building the dynamight there'll be a Mobius v3 available.
wink.gif
That is a very good idea, however - thanks, Ed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 70
Iron_Dreamer, did you try the balanced cans directly out of 1212m outputs? Is there any improvement over common ground?

Also, for the people looking into this mod: DCameronMauch suggested that a 4-pin XLR would be simpler/cheaper for DYI amps.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 70
Neil, FWIW, I no longer have R10 envy after I have done this mod to the HD650. In fact, save perhaps some better speakers in the future, I think my rig is pretty set. I am going to try running the DT880 balanced, and compare it with the 650, the loser to more than likely be sold. That should be about it. The bass on the 650 now is pretty friggin' insane, to the point where I wonder if 8" powered monitors will be enough to feed my bass cravings from my future speakers
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
Iron_Dreamer, did you try the balanced cans directly out of 1212m outputs? Is there any improvement over common ground?

Also, for the people looking into this mod: DCameronMauch suggested that a 4-pin XLR would be simpler/cheaper for DYI amps.

I imagine it may not sound better straight from the 1212M, since it doesn't have the most powerful output section, and it may not power the HD650 adequately enough. I would have tried it today, but had not the cables/adaptors to do so. And yeas 4-pin XLR does seem like the best way to go. If only all headphones and amps were wired that way...

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo

I have been saying this for a long time. Along with having a single stepped attenuator rather than two for balanced output amps.

The K1000 uses a Male 4pin XLR, BTW.
k1000smile.gif

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Until I give into balanced cable mod of my R10's, I guess.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Bingo! That will be the day, the Balanced R10! If running Balanced take the HD650's bass from powerful to insane, it should help the R10 out quite a bit as well, no? Especially considering it will be easier to deliver all the current that they need.

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Bingo! That will be the day, the Balanced R10! If running Balanced take the HD650's bass from powerful to insane, it should help the R10 out quite a bit as well, no? Especially considering it will be easier to deliver all the current that they need.

Edwood_R10_CableMod_02.jpg

Yeah. I'm still thinking about it.

Perhaps after I hear what a Dynahi sounds like.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 70
Crap. I had a digicam with me. Why didn't I take pics?

Heheh, wait. Don't you have a certain digicam still, Peter? You should post pics of your mod. Although, it's not really that crazy looking.

But a nice shot of the DAC1's rear end with the balanced cables inserted.
LOL, now that would be some real p***.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Crap. I had a digicam with me. Why didn't I take pics?

Heheh, wait. Don't you have a certain digicam still, Peter? You should post pics of your mod. Although, it's not really that crazy looking.

But a nice shot of the DAC1's rear end with the balanced cables inserted.
LOL, now that would be some real p***.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Hehe, well I will see what I can do tomorrow, if your old camera wants to cooperate or not. if not I still can post some nice ghetto webcam shots
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #30 of 70
Ed - balance those R10's.
biggrin.gif
then we can use it with my balanced SDS and balanced gilmore reference at the next meet we both attend.
evil_smiley.gif

and if we are really lucky, maybe I'll stop being lazy and make a balanced dynahi by that time. still have a pile of four unpopulated dynahi boards and Elma attenuators sitting in my room.

no, I am not balancing my R10's.
tongue.gif
but am all for Ed balancing his pair.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back