Driving DT990 Edition
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bachankas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi!

Recently I bought BD DT990 Editon 250 ohm. Surprisingly they are playing quite well directly from my laptop through Shanling M1. However, I know their possibilites and I need more power to unlock their potential.

The question is: how much power to they require more less?
I am thinking about Aune T1 or X1S - I was listening once to T1 1. rev and DT990 Pro 250 - really nice duet.
However, I am also considering Shanling M3s - 130 mW per channel @32 ohm (M1 has 35 mW and it already sounds good).

If M3s could drive them properly, it would be very comfortable - one device as DAP and as DAC.
I am not planning any headphones upgrade in the future, so I do not need more power than for driving my Beyerdynamics.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello head-fi!

Recently I bought BD DT990 Editon 250 ohm. Surprisingly they are playing quite well directly from my laptop through Shanling M1. However, I know their possibilites and I need more power to unlock their potential.

The question is: how much power to they require more less?
I am thinking about Aune T1 or X1S - I was listening once to T1 1. rev and DT990 Pro 250 - really nice duet.
However, I am also considering Shanling M3s - 130 mW per channel @32 ohm (M1 has 35 mW and it already sounds good).

If M3s could drive them properly, it would be very comfortable - one device as DAP and as DAC.
I am not planning any headphones upgrade in the future, so I do not need more power than for driving my Beyerdynamics.

I'm now exactly in the same boat. Looking for Shanling M3s for my DT990 250 ohm. Did you end up getting those?

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm now exactly in the same boat. Looking for Shanling M3s for my DT990 250 ohm. Did you end up getting those?

I bought iFi Nano BL -amazing duo with these headphones. It gives smooth trebles and makes midrange closer. I also have Shanling M3s. DT990s with this DAP have nice and large soundstage. However the midrange could be warmer.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 7
I bought iFi Nano BL -amazing duo with these headphones. It gives smooth trebles and makes midrange closer. I also have Shanling M3s. DT990s with this DAP have nice and large soundstage. However the midrange could be warmer.

Thanks bachankas, really appreciate your quick reply. I'm using Magni 2 only (not the stack) with my desktop setup. But have my eyes on iFi Nano BL for DAC + AMP. Good to know it's a good match. Also can you please let me know one more thing, can Shanling M3s alone drive DT 990 (250 ohm) at a decent loudness with out any other amp. I just don't want to carry another (portable) amp when moving around inside my house. Thanks once again. :)

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 7
For sure, M3s has enough power for them. This rig sounds OK, as I mentioned, nice soundstage, however the midrange is not the best - I prefer M3s with headphones playing non-V signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back