Driving a Senn HD800 with a Nuforce HDP and a CEntrance DacPort
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davisxu

BANNED
aka PolarBear123
gradofan1
Hi all,

Just bought a HD800 to replace my T1. This is probably a really stupid noob question, but will they drive (moderately to decently) ok with a Nuforce HDP or a CEntrance DacPort (I wanted a portable USB amp with a 1/4" output)? These are the only AMP/DAC's I have (unless you count cheap Fiios), and I can't really afford a $1000 WooAudio Amp. I've heard the HD800's are notoriously hard to drive/amp-picky, but I'm just not sure to what extent. Thanks!

-D

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi all,

Just bought a HD800 to replace my T1. This is probably a really stupid noob question, but will they drive (moderately to decently) ok with a Nuforce HDP or a CEntrance DacPort (I wanted a portable USB amp with a 1/4" output)? These are the only AMP/DAC's I have (unless you count cheap Fiios), and I can't really afford a $1000 WooAudio Amp. I've heard the HD800's are notoriously hard to drive/amp-picky, but I'm just not sure to what extent. Thanks!

-D

It should in theory power the HD800 decently, same as it powers the T1's.  You won't have issues with volume. But IMHO, HDP is a very bad choice for both the T1 and HD800 when it comes to sound signature, its too thin and harsh.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks! Any other opinions?

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

It should in theory power the HD800 decently, same as it powers the T1's.  You won't have issues with volume. But IMHO, HDP is a very bad choice for both the T1 and HD800 when it comes to sound signature, its too thin and harsh.

Really? My experience with the HDP and Dacport is that they lean on the slightly warmer side of things. Especially with the higher output impedance which will give a warmer sound in the HD800. I've tried the HDP + HD800 briefly and thought it was decent with enough power to spare.

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 9
any other opinions? I'm find that the sound off of my Centrance DacPort is too bright... any cheap tube amplifiers to drive the HD800?

Also, besides the dacport, what else is USB powered, 1/4" terminated, and can drive a HD800? Also interested in desktop amps (I currently have the NuForce HDP) with tubes?

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
any other opinions? I'm find that the sound off of my Centrance DacPort is too bright... any cheap tube amplifiers to drive the HD800?

Also, besides the dacport, what else is USB powered, 1/4" terminated, and can drive a HD800? Also interested in desktop amps (I currently have the NuForce HDP) with tubes?

Again, cant speak for HD800, but I recently got the Little Dot MKIII tube amp, its only 200 dollars, but has plenty of power for T1's and sounds far better than Nuforce HDP; in fact, to put it nicely, HDP's headphone out sounds like crap next to it, lean, thin, lifeless, dull, plasticky... So, you might wanna take a look at Little dot.  They also have the MK4, which is more expensive, but takes it up to a different level. Also take a look at Darkvoice tube amps, and Bottlehead crack.  Depends on your budget... I find T1's listenable with MKIII, didn't find it listenable with HDP. What I mean by that, I rather even listen to my 8 year old Sennheiser HD212 than T1's with most music when used with HDP, thats how bad it is, so I assume HD800, which is even more amp dependent, cant be any better.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 9
By the way I doubt anything thats USB powered will run the HD800's properly.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 9
will power fine, but will probably sound thin and bright

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 9
I almost have the exactly same question. I have the NuForce Icon HDP and it drives HD650 and K712 pretty good. I have been lusting for HD800 so long and so much and almost want to balloon my budget to get one. Afterwards I either live with the NuForce or wait long long time to get a fully capable or desirable amp for the HD800. I want to get more opinion and experience on using NuForce HDP with HD800. Let's use an insane analogy to express this: if the overall sound quality of matching HD800 with the most proper amp is rated 10, how one would rate it if the HDP is used to drive HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back