drill battery as power supply?
Mar 11, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

izquierdaste

100+ Head-Fier
My cordless drill has three batteries. Since, I really have no use for three batteries, I was thinking of using two of these batteries as power supplies for an amp and dac that I use. I know people usually use SLA batteries for this purpose, but I was wondering if I could do any damage if I tried to use the drill batteries. They are rated at 12v 1.7a. Thanks for any help.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cordless drill has three batteries. Since, I really have no use for three batteries, I was thinking of using two of these batteries as power supplies for an amp and dac that I use. I know people usually use SLA batteries for this purpose, but I was wondering if I could do any damage if I tried to use the drill batteries. They are rated at 12v 1.7a. Thanks for any help.

Cordless drills normally use NiCd batteries. I don't see how you could cause any damage, just use the charger they came with.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 6
It'll work but be kinda large, if you're not going to have it portable I'd just go with an AC-DC supply, the hyped benefit of using batteries is beyond reason and then you won't have to recharge them either.

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the advice. I figure this is a free (in a relative sense) way to look for a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll work but be kinda large, if you're not going to have it portable I'd just go with an AC-DC supply, the hyped benefit of using batteries is beyond reason and then you won't have to recharge them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back