Drill and Drill Bits
Oct 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by junkie2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For starting DIY, what sort of drill and drill bits would you guys recommend? I plan on starting on the CMOY and then moving on to a PIMETA and PPA or a M^3. I just want a basic mid-low end drill for now. I'll consider a drill press later on. From what I hear, I should avoid Black and Deckers; anything else?

What drill bits do you recommend? Are cobalt or titanium necessary (what are the difference, and is there a preference)?

Cobalt is a alloy content of the HSS bit (makes it withstand more heat), Titanium refers to the coalting TiN TitaniumNitride (makes it withstand more heat until you wore through the coating, also changes how chips stick to the drill).
Both can be worth it, and if you want to resharpen bits (No, drill doctor is no good) Cobalt (uncoated) would outdo coated plain HSS in the long run.

Consider carbide when you do pick up a drill press and small vise.
For PCB drilling you could set up a Proxxon in a drill press attachment, as long as the drill only moves up and down and not "sideways", carbide is hard to beat for many many many precise holes.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 454Casull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bosch makes really expensive stuff. DeWalt and Makita can't go wrong.

I'm sorry to say that it is complete idiocy to recommend carbide bits for casework, especially for use with handheld drills. HSS makes for a good general purpose bit, TiN coating makes them last longer, stainless steel needs good cobalt bits.

Why? Would you care to elaborate...?

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Would you care to elaborate...?

Carbide is very stiff, brittle and not forgiving for side pressure.
Exact up and down instead of sideways (bending) motion is required to use carbide.
Once you can ensure that, carbide > HSS, w/ or w/o cobalt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back