dressin' up the DIY tangle
Apr 21, 2002 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Don't know about you but the most difficult part of any project is finding something to house the project in that looks professional , or at least not something to hide from company.
Can be a real bitch and takes up a lot of my time designing the right "fit" and finish for each construction.
Pac tec makes some pretty good plastic enclosures for portable gear ,altoids tins are also popular , and for full size projects there are rack mount chassis available (I HATE BIG BOXES , HATES "EM ) and hammond chassis which I use a lot.
But THESE guys are just too nice for the price , especially for tube gear or amps with top mounted heat sinks (which look way cool).
Check them out

http://www.welbornelabs.com/woodchassis.htm

Cheers

"EDIT"
Surprised anyone took this post on face value,looked like a damn retard just got released and found head-fi ,and upon discovering this website , proceeded to post nonsense under my moniker
rolleyes.gif

of course fixed the BLATANT errors
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 5
I am currentely putting my shop back together and feel I could produce some very fine chassis for anyone interested.

I am a long time machinist / metal arts / sword smith and would love to help in this arena if I may.

Just for fun
Type 1 Pappenhiemer I made in the mid 90's.

Apr 25, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Damn.. nice work.. nice skillz. I will probably CNC an Aluminum case for mu pocket amp next fall after I build the amp over summer [I just got Grado 325]

Apr 26, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 5
binary_digit

Like the sword!
Do you have more pics?
There is a gallery thread started by Audio&Me lurking somewhere in the general forum,a good place for more pics.

I do a bit of metal bashing myself..wheelocks are my thing,amongst others.

And I agree rickcr42 the case work of many projects can be
a problem,it is often the most expensive bit of many comercial
products too.

setmenu

Apr 26, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I was at Michael's (the hobby store chain) last night with the misses and saw plenty of potential enclosures for dirt cheap!

Little pressed-board boxes for $.75 just the right size for a basic Cmoy amp. Little wooden doll furniture for a buck. Wooden birdhouses, SCULPY!!

Think outside the (tin) box!

ok,
erix

p.s. Like the pignose, Rick. I've always wanted to get one of those knobs for my projects.. Ever build any guitar amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back