Dredg - The Most Unique Sound of The 21st Century
Jul 25, 2003 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Schizorabbit

Head-Fier
If you haven't heard them, then all that expensive headphone equipment you have is being half wasted. These guys, are by default, rock. But that is simply too, well, simple an explanation for their sound. To identify them more correctly, I would have to say it's more a blend of slow Jazz Ballad Charts and Rock; this is true more so of their second album then their first. This quartet of musical majesty, happens to also incorporate Eastern styles of chord literature into their style as well, producing an entirely unique "sound". But foremost Dredg proves, once again, that in the 21st Century, good music is underground.

Jul 25, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 32
I'll have to check them out. My personal favorite underground group would have to be (contemporary experimental) Tempus Fugit, a local percussion ensemble. They have the potential to go big but they aren't signed with a big label and prefer to stay in our region.

Also Eat Static, a really crazy British electronic group. Really weird music but hey it's groovy.

I enjoy the Philadelpia Experiment as well. Great jazz / funk trio.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 26, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 32
Big props to Dredg.

Saw these guys live at the Village Underground in NYC and loved them. Got to talk to the singer while he was outside the club, and he's a straight up nice guy.

Get both their lp's. Support true music.

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 32
I really like them, I've liked them since their first album, and the second one is even better. Recommended to fans of Tool (for some reason, I hear similarities).

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 32
Great first impression shown by Of The Room and Symbol Song. Reminds me a bit of Mars Volta. Will definately look out for it in any local store, if it ever arrives
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 32
I thought about making a new thread about this, but why waste the space if we already have one, so I bumped this from the depths of 2003 to the here and now.

I just listened to the complete El Cielo album of dredg and am impressed as ever. It's not only great in a musical aspect, but it's also very well recorded as previously mentioned. I don't really remember any of the tracks seperately with their names, as I've just gave it a complete listen, but I feel as if you really have to listen to the whole album, similar to DSOTM of Pink Floyd.

Most definately worth your time if you're into progressive music.

EDIT: Currently listening to Leitmotif, which sounds just as promising.
smily_headphones1.gif
(In addition, Tool is indeed my favourite band, which proves a previous poster's theory)

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 32
like tool + pink floyd. very awesome. i saw them live at the vic which is a small venue and there was so much bass it was insane. i love thier drummer.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I really like them, I've liked them since their first album, and the second one is even better. Recommended to fans of Tool (for some reason, I hear similarities).

I respect other peoples opinions and all but I see absolutely no similarity between TOOL and Dredg.
Am I alone on this one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiez
Great first impression shown by Of The Room and Symbol Song. Reminds me a bit of Mars Volta.

The Mars Volta!?
Am I listening to different bands than the rest of you?

Dredg reminds me of NOBODY. Hence their originality...hey, I guess everyone hears things differently.
Anyways, great band-El Cielo is fantastic.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 32
Leitmotif was amazing, El Cielo was great, but Catch Without Arms was just.. disappointing. Overall, Dredg rules.

If you want really unique though, check out Orthrelm or something. LOL. Maybe Infidel?/Castro!.. enough uniqueness to last you an eternity.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Leitmotif was amazing, El Cielo was great, but Catch Without Arms was just.. disappointing. Overall, Dredg rules.

i'm mostly in agreement with asmox here, only i'd put el cielo slightly above leitmotif. i didn't really like catch without arms either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back