Dream Theater's The Astonishing as 1 CD :)
May 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Headphoneus Supremus
I've made a playlist that serves as a cut version of this Dream Theater album, for those of you who like me felt it had too much fluff/filler or is too soft/acoustic.

Total runtime is 72:53. These are the tracks, in this order:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift Of Music
Lord Nafaryus
A Savior In The Square
When Your Time Has Come
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
A Tempting Offer
A New Beginning
2285 Entr'acte
Moment Of Betrayal
The Path That Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell
Losing Faythe
Whispers On The Wind
Our New World

I've listened to this a few times now, and I gotta say if I use this as surrogate for the full album, it would probably be one of my top five Dream Theater albums.

Enjoy!

Jun 4, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 7
I listened to the full album once, at work, and was hugely disappointed. But I'll give your playlist a shot and see if it changes my opinion. The Metropolis album didn't seem so pretentious as a concept album - this one reeks of it.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 7
I listened to the full album once, at work, and was hugely disappointed. But I'll give your playlist a shot and see if it changes my opinion. The Metropolis album didn't seem so pretentious as a concept album - this one reeks of it.
I hope you do like it (my list).There's actually some very good songs on this album, they're just buried among an hour of Meh songs.

I would suggest if you're going to cherry-pick tracks to check out on their own, first do A New Beginning, followed by Moment Of Betrayal and Three Days.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 7
I hope you do like it (my list).There's actually some very good songs on this album, they're just buried among an hour of Meh songs.

I would suggest if you're going to cherry-pick tracks to check out on their own, first do A New Beginning, followed by Moment Of Betrayal and Three Days.
Amendment to this: if you prefer their heavier stuff, replace Moment Of Betrayal with The Path That Divides.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I do generally prefer their heavier stuff, but Solitary Shell is one of my favorite songs (as is that entire "song"). I know the big knock on Portnoy was that he made them less progressive and more heavy, but I thought they found a nice balance of the two.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the list suggestion. I am a huge Dream Theater fan but even after listening to the whole album twice my reaction is still "meh". Maybe it will change after I try out your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back