Dream Theater
Jun 23, 2002 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nezer

Antibacterial soap... kills bacteria... bad karma?
How is it that, as a guitarist, I slept through the 90's and never heard this band before?

Sure, I've heard *of* them but assumed that it was a group from the mid-to-late eighties that was a bit washed-up. Now *why* did I think this?

After making a comment on the Rush's Vapor Trails thread about 'no more concept albumks being made anymore', Kelly pointed me to DT's Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. Everyone has the Metropolis Pt. 2 chopped and just calls it Scenes from a Memory so I totally missed it.

I found a copy of the album on WinMX and, being the bad evil person I am, downloaded it to check it out. WOW! When was this thing released? Maybe early eighties?? Well, no... 1999!! Who the **** makes records like this in modern times *and* has a major label supporting them? Well, Dream Theater, thats who.

I'm only about half way through the album but I'm hooked.

The next time I pass a CD store it's Scenes from a Memory is coming with me. I also plan on picking-up thier latest, released this year, which also looks to be another concept album.

Again, I ask, what the hell rock was I living under for the last 10 years?

Jun 23, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 16
Soon you are discussing in the "My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled" thread about bands like Opeth and Arcturus... well, they are not discussing about arcturus too often, even though they should be. All in all, you're only a one step away
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 16
That thread needs a forum of it's own!

Jun 23, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

I'm only about half way through the album but I'm hooked.

The next time I pass a CD store it's Scenes from a Memory is coming with me. I also plan on picking-up thier latest, released this year, which also looks to be another concept album.

[/B]

Great band, he?
Wait until you hear it acouple of times... :) By the way THERE IS A SECOND LIVE VERSION OF "METROPOLIS II" - recorded in NY - WITH A BONUS CD, and also a version coming on DVD ... About their latest album - I'm not so shure...the oppinions are mixed, I myself didn't fall on my back over it - you could continue "beeing evil" and download samples on WinMX - and only buy it afterwards, if you like it...BUT!!!- GOING BACKWARDS is entirely another story:-Their second album-"Images and Words" is considered a classic-it also contains Metropolis-pt. 1 which is the basis for the expanded concept album you're talking about - I like better their live album "Live at the Marquee" which summs up their first years(although I have them both). Another album I especialy like is "Awake" ... In general, you could say that with this band every album is a new story...worth listenig each one and one.ENJOY!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Nacher
Soon you are discussing in the "My darkest desires soon to be fullfilled" thread about bands like Opeth and Arcturus... well, they are not discussing about arcturus too often, even though they should be. All in all, you're only a one step away
wink.gif

See what nice coincidence, I have just ordered OPETH - Blackwater Park and ARCTURUS - The Sham Mirrors, just waiting for these great releases to get here (I know these are great, based on some tunes I have already listened to). Beyond these two, I also ordered (in the same metal vein):

- PAYNE'S GRAY - Kadath Decoded
- MAUDLIN OF THE WELL - Leaving Your Body Map
- PAIN OF SALVATION - Entropia
- AFTER FOREVER - Decipher
- SYMPHONY X - V: The New Mithology
- DREAMS OF SANITY - The Game
- NIGHTWISH - Oceanborn
- THRESHOLD - Hypothetical

Glad to see you discussing this stuff.

And about DREAM THEATER, I'm also a huge fan myself. Images & Words is one of my personal favorite albums by them.

Best regards

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Dream Theater tends ot kick ass, yes
cool.gif
SFAM id clearly their best, but Images & Words and Awake are close behind.

their latest, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence has selfindulgent tendencies IMO (not as tight and structured like earlier work) and the epic title-track (42 minutes) is not that fantastic .. actually, I think it's pretty weak. it's two discs with the epic on disc two, disc one is definately the best of the two. also, the production is kinda weak. not a recommended buy unless you already got I&W, Awake and A Change Of Seasons.

I'd get I&W and Awake first, then maybe Six Degrees and then Falling Into Infinity and when you feel like you need em all, you might pick up their debut, but it's not so good. also pick up A Change Of Seasons, it's pretty good.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 16
I, too, like Dream Theater. I would say that after SFAM, Falling Into Infinity is my favourite, with A Change Of Seasons being a nice EP. Yes, the second album Images & Words is an absolute classic, and will not be unshelved in a lot of DT fans' minds as their best, either.

Didn't like Awake that much.

You may also want to check out this thread.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 16
I've never heard them but I'm meaning to try.

Nice to hear about bands with theatrics and chops actually working.

Slightly OT = A guy who is painting one of my amp boxes builds guitar effects for the band. Check out www.troubledvarience.com and look at the Alphawave. Imagine THAT sitting on my desk! I've listened to Tom play through these things and can only imagine what the band sounds like!

ok,
erix

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Jun 24, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
[
You may also want to check out this thread. [/B]

Right...I realy enjoyed it. Nice to know more and more people on this forum like this kind of music
biggrin.gif
...The way to go from D.T. would shurelly be SYMPHONY_X - which was already mentioned before - All their albums are GREAT but the best in my oppinion are their first classic-THE DIVINE WINGS OF TRAGEDY and afterwards TWILIGHT IN OLIMPUS followed closely by V-THE NEW MYTHOLOGY SUITE.If you care about a live "best-of" from all three disks - their last - LIVE ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER- will fill the bill - by the way, that's also the name they call thir site, well worth a visit in it's own right... http://www.symphonyx.com/index2.htm . Best regards...

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 16
The problem there is I can't even stomach a whole Metalica CD in one session. Hard and heavy is fine as long as it's balanced (Trent Reznor is a master at this).

What I love mostly about concept albums aren't the stories, thogh many of them are great, but I really enjoy finding musical motifs spread all over. I guess I prefer arrangement over story over sound.

Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick is also on the to-buy list now. Certainly not a heavy album by anyones standards except my grandmother's.

So, with that in mind, where is the next logical step for me to take? Should I step back in time and explore more Tull or maybe get into the band that started it all--Yes?

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 16
QUOTE-Originally posted by Nezer
The problem there is I can't even stomach a whole Metalica CD in one session. Hard and heavy is fine as long as it's balanced (Trent Reznor is a master at this).

METALICA and SYMPHONY_X are two completely different cups of tea...although both are "heavy" metal - Metalica is classic (plain) heavy metal wheter Symphony_X is much,much more complex, progresive heavy metal with symphonic influences... and I'm not putting down Metalica, it's just another opera altogether...
About being hard to stomach - well, I get your point but with time you grow used to the harshness of heavy metal and begin to taste it...you won't believe how many hearings took me to get used to the vocals of Danny Filth(Cradle of Filth) but I felt their music was worth the effort...
Trent Reznor - Haven't heard yet - What kind of music? Worth trying?

"What I love mostly about concept albums aren't the stories, thogh many of them are great, but I really enjoy finding musical motifs spread all over. I guess I prefer arrangement over story over sound. Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick is also on the to-buy list now. "

Yeah, that's the reason I like so much prog.rock...Tull's THICK AS A BRICK is a MASTERPIECE!!! perhaps their best album together with A PASSION PLAY - Both concept albums in the best tradition of the seventies - I would be hard pressed to decide which I like better between the two - mind it, after 30 years!!! and I still sometimes listen to them...both of them are concept albums and in both cases the story IS important and adds a lot to understanding and enjoing the music-in THICK AS A BRICK especially - so, in this case I would deffinitely pay attention to the words...

"Certainly not a heavy album by anyones standards except my grandmother's."

Don't bet on it...I know a lot of people who would enjoy Metalica and many other forms of heavy metal + other albums of Jethro Tull's and when they get to these two - which are much more "experimental" they find them hard to digest...

So, with that in mind, where is the next logical step for me to take? Should I step back in time and explore more Tull or maybe get into the band that started it all--Yes?

"Yes" like a question or "Yes" the band? If you meant Yes(the band) - I would go to their first albums - "Tells From Topographic Oceans" is a clasic and a good place to start. But... be warned they have a very specific sound and are not easy to digest over the firs hearings.
The place I would definetly go is GENESIS -Their three best albums ( from the period BEFORE Peter Gabriel-their soloist left)are SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND, NURSERY CRIME & THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY - all three real clasics. ENJOY
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 16
Hmm, the most interesting use of motifs I've found in any rock CD is the intricate song structures on "Leitmotif," the hard to find release by the greatest indie (formerly?) band I've ever heard......dredg.

Pink Floyd has some interesting concept albums (cough***TheWall***cough)
biggrin.gif

The only bands that did concept albums for a living, to my knowledge, are oldies, like Yes....

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 16
if you decide to dig deeper into the prog scene, I got a couple of suggestions here:

Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element pt1
very recent album, but if you like DT, chances are, you'll love this one.

Yes. well, everyone needs something by Yes
smily_headphones1.gif
if you'll like 'Tales From Topografic Oceans', I can't say, haven't got it. it's supposed to be the most self-indulgent pretencious thing around, so not my first choice! half the band didn't like it either (Rick Wakeman even left the band).. do as I did and get:
- Close To The Edge
everyone will agree this is one of the (if not the) finest. not just insane on the instruments, but great songs as well.
-Fragile
couple of Great (yes, capital G) songs, and a few short experiments to break em up a bit.
Those two are somewhat easy to get into, but they got their typical style, might need some getting used to.

the band that actually start it all is King Crimson, with In The Court Of the Crimson King (what a title!). not only is it probably the first prog albums, it's also truly excellent. great songs, some parts it rocks, some parts it's rather light soudscapy stuff. basically what Pink Floyd got famous with later on. and the instrumental chops typical of prog are ofcourse included, with taste.

DT fans should get some Rush as well. for now, I only have 2112, which is excellent and I definately recommend it. chops, theatrics, and just great music.

moving on from Rush, I'd recommend Arena (theatrics!) and in a more metal-direction, Treshold. less chops, better music (specially Arena
smily_headphones1.gif
)

concept albums for a living? Camel! and they're (or he, most of the time..) around. did they ever do anything that wasn't conceptual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back