Dream Theater-Why have I discovered them just now?
Jun 1, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their best material is spread out across multiple albums, most of which contain varying levels of crap alongside the non-crap. For instance, I think Falling Into Infinity is home to the best song DT has ever recorded (Hell's Kitchen) - unfortunately, 80% of the album is crap. For this reason, it's difficult to recommend any single album.

That being said, I will - without any hesitation - say that Awake is the one DT album with the least amount of crap.

All IMO, obviously.

I wholeheartedly agree. Dream Theater are a frustrating band to listen to. On every album, I hear moments of brilliance, followed by incredible cheesiness. I like a lot of their stuff, but they don't have an album that I can listen to all the way through without hitting the skip button.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm a DT / Liquid fan. Have all the albuns and although there are probably a few tracks who should've been left out... I cannot recommend any specific album. All are pretty good to my ears. Musicians they most certainly are!

Sometimes that voice get's on my nerves a bit... I really think if they scooped a better vocalist they would really be totally awesome!

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 27
Massive DT fan. Some highlights:

Images and Words
Awake
Scenes from a Memory
Octavarium (so underrated)

I guess I prefer some of their underrated tracks to the more well known ones (not that DT is that well known by any means). For example, fav tracks of the above are probably Another Day, 6:00, Home and The Root of all Evil.

In all honesty though, I recommend that all DT fans get the whole catalogue at one point or another, it's all very good.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 27
I've been listening to them for about 10 years now, and they are definitely my favorite band.

I'm glad you got awake and images and words.
As those are my two favorite albums also.

Following those would be six degrees of inner turbulence and scenes from a memory.

They also have a new album coming out, my favorite songs from it are a nightmare to remember and the shattered fortress.

Also, there are tons of easter eggs and hidden meanings in Dream Theater's music.
It's always fun to learn more about their history.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 27
I really like Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees. The upcoming album is pretty interesting too, has a bit of an old school DT feel to it. The tracks that Warhawk mentioned are my least favorite though, hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to get the CD.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #24 of 27
It is quite tough to choose which album to get next.
But I opted for Scenes from a Memory.
Strange Deja Vu and Over 1928 alone are kick ass.
And how about Fatal Tragedy?
Cannot wait to give it a fair listen.
L3000.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 27
dream theater is my jump towards so called "real music"- previously im all for japanese bubblegum pop.

despite how much i hope for them to return to their non metal self, they still held a special place in my heart and i didnt waste my chance to catch them live in singapore even though 80% of what they played were their metal-infused numbers.

i'd say go for awake OR images and words, then metropolis part 2: scenes from a memory which i think is their magnum opus.

then if you like them, get the live albums.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
I really like Scenes from a Memory and Six Degrees. The upcoming album is pretty interesting too, has a bit of an old school DT feel to it. The tracks that Warhawk mentioned are my least favorite though, hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait to get the CD.

A Dramatic Turn of Events is pretty good and very refreshing from Black Clouds and Silver Linings

By the way they just entered studio for a new album about a week ago, they just can't stop (part of the reason Portnoy left 
size]
)

Quote:
It is quite tough to choose which album to get next.
But I opted for Scenes from a Memory.
Strange Deja Vu and Over 1928 alone are kick ass.
And how about Fatal Tragedy?
Cannot wait to give it a fair listen.
L3000.gif

Dance of Eternity and Spirit Carries On are my favorites.

imo Scenes from a Memory is better to be listened in sequence, if you can get the live version as well. (or DVD)

I recommend Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence next. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back