Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos
Jun 15, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I've listened to this album, the less I've liked it. I think at first I was getting by on the fun instrumental sections alone. But now, I've come to see that there are only two tracks I really like on the whole, "Repentance" and "The Ministry of Lost Souls."

The rest of the album is far too hit-and-miss. There will be a great section followed by a rather boring or repetitive one, or a somewhat stupid one. The refrain of "Constant Motion" got pretty old after just a couple of listens. "Foresaken" and "Prophets of War" are just flat and mediocre. The verses of "Dark Eternal Night" are starting to irritate, though I do really likes parts of the song.

Overall, it seems like an album that was rushed, or at least not given the proper nurturing. There are good ideas about, but they just aren't put together in a cohesive manner with strong songwriting. By contrast, I think 8varium was a much better put together album, even if some of the songs are a bit on the dull or less creative side. Perhaps between the two, there is one good album worth of material.

From my perspective, the last two studio albums have been their weakest with LaBrie, by a pretty good margin. I hope that they will get a new producer, change their approach, take a break, whatever it takes to get back to their old form, because their recent output is anything but the excellent of their previous efforts.

I agree. It seems like they are trying to force it. I never thought they had the best lyrics, but this album is REALLY lacking. Sometimes I feel like I am listening to cheezy power metal meets Metallica with a tiny bit of DT wankery thrown in. With the exception of "Octavarium" (the song) and "Repentance", there is not realy much to write home about on either album.

In my opinion, they have the ability to be excellent at pretty much any rockish genre, but they never really nail it (or sometimes not even close). They are a TERRIBLE metal band when they try, but when I listen to the "Awake" album and other songs from different albums, they are mind-blowing. What I like best is when they drop the virtuoso nonsense and write straight up great songs. It's not about speed, it's about passion, and I really think they have been missing that for a long time.

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not about speed, it's about passion, and I really think they have been missing that for a long time.

4 CDs in a row that this is true of now. Systematic Chaos is a good name for their latest CD. It's all over the place and is easily their worst, IMO.

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #49 of 52
I like about most of this album, in the presense of enemies is mostly great, as is forsaken. Dark eternal night is heavy as! Not all of it works, repentance is a bit uninspired in places. Overall one of my least favorite DT release (but still good)

To anyone who has the special edition: how is the sound quality / mastering of the 5.1 mix? I already know the cd mix is bad (thanks Vlado Meller - bleh!)

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooP_WiggleS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like about most of this album, in the presense of enemies is mostly great, as is forsaken. Dark eternal night is heavy as! Not all of it works, repentance is a bit uninspired in places. Overall one of my least favorite DT release (but still good)

To anyone who has the special edition: how is the sound quality / mastering of the 5.1 mix? I already know the cd mix is bad (thanks Vlado Meller - bleh!)

5.1 mix sounds quite ugly. Instruments come and go. Feels like someone is messing around the volume switch all the time. I really prefer stereo mix over this. I read on Mike Portnoy forums that they (he and Petrucci) were there when stereo mix was made and they approved it. They couldn't be there on 5.1 mix though...

from Mike Portnoy forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Portnoy
Myself and JP as the CD's Producers (like any great film director such as Park Chan Woo as you used as an example) were sitting side by side with Paul Northfield for the entire mix and with Vlado Meller for the mastering.
The final CD would not be in your stereo yet if we werent happy with it...
We think it sounds kick-ass, but I guess it's all purely subjective isn't it?
MP

PS - for the record, we were NOT present for the 5.1 mix (how I wish I was...) but it was impossible as we were doing the G3 tour at that time...

I still feel like Forsaken is too hot...Yet I still love the album. I sing along with it while driving to work...
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a gigantic DT fan, but try as I might, I cannot get into this CD.

Agreed. this CD just makes me want to listen to another DT album, a better one.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back