Dream Theater- Systematic Chaos
Jun 5, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

shasty

100+ Head-Fier
The release is tommorow but I want to get a thread going today
biggrin.gif

Sooo, excited??

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 52
Already pre-ordered the special edition, I'm stoked. Constant Motion is only decent, but I really like The Dark Eternal Night. Can't wait to hear the rest, and see them live August 21.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 52
Also, see some impressions I posted here. Overall, I think Dream Theater has made up for Octavarium. Personally, I can't wait to listen to the 5.1 dts mix.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 52
I'll pick it up after work tomorrow. A lot of people didn't like Otavarium, me included, but I like it more as I keep listening to it. I hope this one is better, though. From what I read it sounds like it will be. Yes, looking forward to a new CD from my favorite band.

I've never seen them live, but I saw Petrucci and Portnoy on the G3 tour with Satriani and Paul Gilbert. Unfortunately the acoustics were horrible and didn't do any of them justice. It was fun to watch Portnoy play catch using his drumsticks with the stagehands while he was playing with one hand.

Jun 5, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 52
Systematic Chaos is darker than octavarium, I'm not too sure that I like this better than Octavarium yet (FWIW I think Octavarium is a very very good album, its just very complete in theme and vision as an album, the song Octavarium is just AWESOME!!!
biggrin.gif
). It seems like they are trying to darken their sound, I could hear some rehash of old materials, they are relying on guitars alot. Also I don't like "In the presence of the Enemy" as much as I have liked "octavarium"

Songs that I REALLY REALLY like from the album: Prophets of War (just really different from the rest of the album and not relying a whole lot of instrument wankery for a change) Constant Motion (its really catchy and memorable).

They have to put their voices thru modulators in dark eternal night
frown.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 52
My initial impressions of the album were not very good. Something about the overall sound just didn't sit very well with me. My reactions were very much the same with Octavarium, and that one eventually got a thumbs up from me (the title track is incredible). This one isn't high on my to get list, but I see myself picking it up in the future.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 52
I have heard it a few times, but not enough to really form a concrete opinion. Octavarium, as a song, in my opinion, beats this whole album as it is now. One thing I did notice is the wavforms on this album are just laughable. Probably one of the worst hackjobs I have ever seen. For such a talented group of musicians who undoubtedly have complete control over their contract, they should be ashamed of themselves over the amount of compresssion used.

As far as the album itself, it is overall pretty good, but nothing is jumping out at me. For the record, I still hate Constant Motion...
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 52
Got my Special Edition today.

Prophets Of War is a strong candidate for my favourite song of the album (only song without a guitar solo btw). Still I love guitars in this album. Keyboards go bit too much to fap fap section.

At first I didn't like Constant Motion that much, but now it's enjoyable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Repentance looks like a ballad at first, but it grows heavy burden towards the end. :O

ITPoE doesn't yet beat A Change Of Seasons. Too much repeat with all that Dark Master...

Forsaken is quite obvious single track, yet I like those guitars....

The Ministry of Lost Souls starts with "bah, yet another ballad" but after it went to that instrumental arena, it changed my mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe not their best album but a nice addition! It's still enjoyable Dream Theater music. You can listen your old albums if you want I&W.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 52
Has anybody heard the 5.1 mix yet? I can't wait to experience Dream Theater in surround sound.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 52
Got my copy. This album is fantastic, and is probably the best album DT has ever mastered in the studio. It sounds AMAZING. I will be doing a full track runthrough for you guys.

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt1
This song starts with a sweeping synth/guitar intro. The first half is classic Dream Theater instrumental work...interesting time signatures, syncopated drumming, killer riffs, LOTS of synth work! Very cool. The second half of the song turns into a dramatic ballad...very catchy chorus, too. Great song.

2. Forsaken
I love this song....it might be the best on the entire record. Starts with a slow piano piece (very Symphony X esque) and cuts to a balls to the wall riff with a solid bassline and uplifting drumming. LaBrie's vocals in this song are TOP NOTCH-he keeps his voice very tamed and well defined while still keeping his classic vocal range. This song is very dramatic, dark, and well paced...you might find yourself singing along with the chorus, too. Again, this might be the best song on the album.

3. Constant Motion (previously released)
This was released about a month ago as a single. The song starts out fast and never slows down. Portnoy joins LaBrie on the vocals for this track, and there is no compromise-the singing is fast, aggressive, and to the point. This is a great song to get pumped to! Petrucci is at his finest here-the solo is brilliant, the riffs are fast paced and full of energy. Very good song.

4. Dark Eternal Night (previously released)
This song was also released a short while after Constant Motion. The song is the only seven string song on the album, and there is only one word that can really describe it-raunchy. It starts with a raw, killer riff on the B string, and when the drums and bass kick in, you simply cannot help but to headbang \m/ Portnoy also sings on this track, and the vocals sound especially great, especially with Portnoy complementing LaBrie. The song breaks with an instrumental interlude that is extremely progressive. This song is especially dark and sinister, but is very fun to listen to at the same time. Check out the full song here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EkF4JD2rO3Q

5. Repentance
This song slows down...very mellow and Pink Floyd esque. The lyrics are compelling, but the song is slightly depressing. This song uses particular riffs and lyrics from This Dying Soul, as it is a continuation of Portnoy's alcoholism steps. Alltogether it's an excellent song.

6. Prophets of War
This song shifts topics to the war in Iraq. This song is a HUGE kickback to Octavarium...infact, this could easily pass for a track on Octavarium. It's not a particularly fast song, and is actually a bit lackluster...definitely not the highlight of the album. I'm not saying it's a bad song-it just isn't up to snuff with the rest of the stuff.

7. The Ministry of Lost Souls
This song is epic...classic Dream Theater. Very moving and musical...an excellent track. This is a good indicator of the new direction Dream Theater moved in with this album. The synth sweeping in the background and the chord progressions just gives this song a feeling of major epicness. The main riff in the song is very sweet and sinister sounding at the same time. I love it. The last half of the song kicks into an instrumental section with some interesting pieces...the main riff is also thrown back in which makes for some great listening. Excellent track. This might be a contender for best track on the album, actually
tongue.gif

8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt2
This is a continuation of the first song on the track. This song is the darkest song on the album by FAR. The chorus chants:

Dark Master within
I will fight for you
Dark Master of sin
Now my soul is yours
Dark Master my guide
I will die for you

This song is pretty crazy. You wouldn't expect this kind of song from Dream Theater, but lo and behold, here it is. This song is addicting-I cannot stop listening to pt1 and pt2.
There, all done. This album is definitely diverse and a step in a different direction, just like every other Dream Theater album. That being said, it certainly does NOT disappoint, and just goes to show how a band like Dream Theater, who you'd think would have already established a certain kind of sound, can go and write an album something totally out there that still retains to their roots and kicks ??? at the same time.

This album gets a solid 10/10 from me. It's right up there with Six Degrees, Images and Words, and Awake IMO. A valiant, unique sounding effort from Dream Theater. Bravo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back