Dream Theater Cult
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 30
I know there's a lot of fans around these parts. I sure am.

Considering this...I'll ask here as I've asked in many other threads before...why do long time fans (other than me) hate Dramatic Turn of Events? Especially here on Head-fi. I really enjoyed it and it's recorded fantastically.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 30
morbidtoaster I think the reason most hate it is because the drummer (mike portnoy) was kicked out and was really dogged by his band and the new drummer (also a mike who's style I personally hate) is different to mike and alot of dreamtheaters fan base where huge portnoy fans and yeah that us about it. sorry about lack of caps and punctuation i'm on my phone.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 30
^ I thought Portnoy chose to leave the band
confused_face_2.gif
- also the replacement drummer did not write the tracks for the new album. So, he's just playing what they wrote... can't really be judged by that right?

My friend is a die hard DT fan (his favorite band). I didn't like them, but after having them shoved down my throat, I did start to appreciate them a bit more.

I actually enjoyed their latest release more than their old stuff. I think its because they toned down the "look how good we are" style and actually made a more musical record. Just my opinion. My favorite song of theirs, however, is the count of tuscany.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 30
Like 'em.  New album is okay.  Count of Tuscany is fantastic.

My understanding is that when Portnoy was asked to do Avenged Sevenfold he said see ya DT thinking it was long term.  Avenged Sevenfold said it isn't.  He wanted back with DT, but they said we've already got time invested in Mangini.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 30
As long as Rudess is there I'm in. That dude is amazing. Of course Portnoy was a great drummer, but just because of the situation doesn't mean the album is poor. I dun no, I just really enjoyed it and I've been a fan for a long time now.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 30
Heyoooo. How come I've never seen this thread? :) But thanks for opening it. Yeah Dream Theater is, I think, the best band that was, is and will ever be :)

Got to see them in Kansas City and Dallas consecutively in two weeks. I've been their fan since when Awake came out and I can still remember the day when I first heard the song "Mirror" and my jaw dropping :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 30
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 30
[size=medium]I’ve tried on more than a few occasions over the years to get into Dream Theatre.  To be certain, these are fiercely talented musicians playing at the tops of their games.  The Portnoy vs. Mangini topic does not enter into my feelings about the band; both are extremely gifted drummers with awesome chops.[/size]

[size=medium]For reasons I am having difficulty elaborating upon, I just don’t “feel” the DT music I have been exposed to.  I saw them in concert for the first time this past summer.  We actually went to see the warm-up act, The Crimson ProjeKct.  We Crimheads were definitely in the minority that night as the vast majority of the concertgoers rose only when DT hit the stage.  I cannot identify the four songs we heard before we left but each was very well played, yet totally lacking in dynamic range and feel in my opinion.  The unrelenting assault got to be a little too much for us, so we left.[/size]

[size=medium]I submit to the DT fans on this forum to direct me towards songs / albums that demonstrate this group is capable of one volume setting other than 11 and lyrics that demonstrate solid songcraft.[/size]

[size=medium]I’m waiting to be converted![/size]

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:
[size=medium]I’ve tried on more than a few occasions over the years to get into Dream Theatre.  To be certain, these are fiercely talented musicians playing at the tops of their games.  The Portnoy vs. Mangini topic does not enter into my feelings about the band; both are extremely gifted drummers with awesome chops.[/size]

[size=medium]For reasons I am having difficulty elaborating upon, I just don’t “feel” the DT music I have been exposed to.  I saw them in concert for the first time this past summer.  We actually went to see the warm-up act, The Crimson ProjeKct.  We Crimheads were definitely in the minority that night as the vast majority of the concertgoers rose only when DT hit the stage.  I cannot identify the four songs we heard before we left but each was very well played, yet totally lacking in dynamic range and feel in my opinion.  The unrelenting assault got to be a little too much for us, so we left.[/size]

[size=medium]I submit to the DT fans on this forum to direct me towards songs / albums that demonstrate this group is capable of one volume setting other than 11 and lyrics that demonstrate solid songcraft.[/size]

[size=medium]I’m waiting to be converted![/size]

You may want to listen to the entire Awake album. I still think that it's their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back