Dreaded Dead iPod (fixable?)
Jan 2, 2007 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

awptickes

100+ Head-Fier
My 5Gen iPod just died the other day. I know that's what a lot of people just say (believe me, I worked on an internet help desk...)

Thinking it was the battery, I let it charge for a few hours (5) and then tried to reset it, but it still would not turn on. I then opened it up and tested the battery with a voltmeter, and it was giving me the correct voltage, which checks out, because the last usage it had half a charge. I've tried plugging it with USB, Firewire, my mom's TransPod dock, and into my car; still no dice. The internals are all in great shape, and if I take off the protective screen cover, it'd look brand new; if only it worked....

Any ideas? It's been almost a year since I bought it, and I stupidly purchased through a third party, so no AppleCare extended waranty for me. Some people have stories of their 'Pods coming back from the crypt after being plugged in for days, so I'm keeping hope and leaving it plugged up.

Has anyone fixed anything like this?

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
This should work. Move the lock switch back and forth a few times and leave it in normal. Then press the center of the wheel and the menu section of the wheel at the same time and wait for about 5 seconds. The apple symbol should appear and then in 30 sec or so the rest of the screen will come to life. Good luck.

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 4
UPDATE:

I called up Apple, and after they took me through the normal rig-ama-roll, then told me to send it in. I setup a dispatch for my sister's address (because I'm overseas, they wouldn't ship to me directly) and I mailed it to my sister. She got it, and requested the dispatch to be sent out today. Hopefully I'll get a fixed iPod back.

BTW: Not being able to stand the wait, I bought a white 80GB. I haven't even used the headphone jack yet, and I don't think there is a need to. There really isn't much of a difference, but I have yet to explore much of it, as it mostly stays in the glove box of my civic hooked to my kenwood stereo. I did notice that the sleeve that comes with a 5.5gen is black instead of white/off-white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back