Dre Beats Studio DIY teardown and modify question...
Jan 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 121
Here's the 3.5mm and power cord

The cable does not detach from the headphones

Underneath the rings on either side is, well, nothing.

If you look on the right side in this picture, that side should have the USB charger.  That was the side I unscrewed and split open (you can kind of see the inside).  That side had a square spot that looked like it could house a battery, but nothing was there.  I didn't take it far enough apart where I could hold it open and take a picture at the same time.  The left side had no screws and I was afraid I would break little plastic tabs that were holding it together.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #18 of 121
Oh, I thought we were still talking about the Studio 1.0, not the 2.0! Is this the left earcup?
350x700px-LL-fd959e38_CAM00159.jpeg

It looks like it can hold a square Li-ion like this one.
tHKxL6A.jpg

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 121
Ok, so it looks like they didn't populate anything for the charge circuit.  For some reason I thought what I was looking at were solder points for components on the other side, but they are simply non-populated surface mount components.  I reassembled the headphones now and plugged them in and will most likely remain confined to an outlet for the foreseeable future.  That's ok, I have a desk job :)

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
How about those pads sitting in the upper left?  Might be a good spot for a battery cable...

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 121
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead [and for my first post!] but I need some help and this is the only place it appears I might find it... Here goes:

A friend of mine gave me a display model set of Beats Executive headphones. As with the original poster, mine have a power cable attached for powering them at the in store display and the normal battery compartment is empty of any contacts etc... I happen to have an external battery compartment for 2x AAA batteries [which is what the headphones require to power them under normal circumstances] and I figured I could just snip the power cable, wire the external compartment and off I go. But its not working and I'm assuming the wired power source is going to be AC whilst the batteries will be DC? Would the whole powered part of the headphone be AC as opposed to DC for a simple display model? I'm no electrical whizz, obviously but how do I/can I switch the AC power to DC? Thanks in advance for any help...

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #22 of 121
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead [and for my first post!] but I need some help and this is the only place it appears I might find it... Here goes:

A friend of mine gave me a display model set of Beats Executive headphones. As with the original poster, mine have a power cable attached for powering them at the in store display and the normal battery compartment is empty of any contacts etc... I happen to have an external battery compartment for 2x AAA batteries [which is what the headphones require to power them under normal circumstances] and I figured I could just snip the power cable, wire the external compartment and off I go. But its not working and I'm assuming the wired power source is going to be AC whilst the batteries will be DC? Would the whole powered part of the headphone be AC as opposed to DC for a simple display model? I'm no electrical whizz, obviously but how do I/can I switch the AC power to DC? Thanks in advance for any help...

It's highly unlikely that the display model runs off AC, since the circuit in the right earcup runs off DC. Have you taken apart the circuit side yet?

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 121

Thats kind of what I thought... I've taken apart the side that the cord runs into. Is that the circuit side?! Pardon my ignorance!

That's the battery compartment side. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #25 of 121
  That's the battery compartment side. 

Lol! Thats what it looked like... except not as tidy!!!

So yes, I took that side apart... is there something I should be looking for? It all looked connected, I found the black and red wires [presumably the power] coming in from the cord. I even tried touching the wires from the external battery pack to the spot where the power hits the board. No joy. Thanks for your help so far by the way... much appreciated.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #26 of 121
Did you try powering them up via a transformer prior to cutting and using the batteries?  Just to make sure they worked as expected?

Yes, I would suspect that hooking a battery up at the correct voltage to those power input wires should work, but maybe you're not hitting the voltage threshold for some reason.  My transformer was 4.5V.  I think I tried lesser voltages but could not get them to power up, but mine had the Lithium battery in retail form, not 2 AA.  That may have had a slightly higher voltage.  Regardless, the 4.5v works for mine.

I was going to hack in some batteries as well, but I'm pretty sure the charging circuit is also missing as is the USB charge cable connection.  It would've been a pretty big hack to convert them and I sit at a desk most of the time anyway :)

Good luck

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 121
  Did you try powering them up via a transformer prior to cutting and using the batteries?  Just to make sure they worked as expected?

Yes, I would suspect that hooking a battery up at the correct voltage to those power input wires should work, but maybe you're not hitting the voltage threshold for some reason.  My transformer was 4.5V.  I think I tried lesser voltages but could not get them to power up, but mine had the Lithium battery in retail form, not 2 AA.  That may have had a slightly higher voltage.  Regardless, the 4.5v works for mine.

I was going to hack in some batteries as well, but I'm pretty sure the charging circuit is also missing as is the USB charge cable connection.  It would've been a pretty big hack to convert them and I sit at a desk most of the time anyway :)

Good luck

No I didn't try a transformer... Just went straight for the batteries! I guess its possible they don't even work.

So, am I SOL?

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 121

And where would I find these transformers you speak of...?!

Doesn't everyone have a box/drawer with old transformers?  Maybe it's just me...

Mine was from an old Sony portable CD player.  4.5v, 500mA.  Like this one:  http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518ZzXaOEAL.jpg

I had to pull off the plug from another transformer because the one on it was the wrong size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back