Dragonfly DAC and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Mar 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KaminKevCrew

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there,
I'm having an issue with my dragonfly on Ubuntu. It plays at a very quiet volume through about 99% of the volume range of my computer, but when you his 100% it goes into line-out mode, and basically feels like it's going to blow out my eardrums (as in, it causes physical pain, and I instantly turn it down). Does anyone know how to get smooth volume control out of the Dragonfly (version 1.2) on Ubuntu? I know it's not the dragonfly, because it works fine on Windows 8.1.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 3
This reply may be a little late for you but it may help others hacking with ubuntu. Taken from my evernote:

Dragonfly 1.2 USB DAC is extremely quiet, even almost silent after being plugged into a Ubuntu machine. Crank up the volume to 100% and you get a sudden surge in volume which is scary and can blow your headphone. Believe me dragonfly has lots of juice even for beyerdynamic DT250-250ohm.
Long story short, modifying the configuration of pulseaudio fixed the problem.
vi /etc/pulseaudio/default.pa
add the blue string "load-module module-udev-detect ignore_dB=1"
pulseaudio -k to stop pulseaudio and it will start automatically with the new configuration in effect.
Now the volume control works as it should.

There is also another issue with compatibility with Chrome, or the other way around in fact. There is no audio when playing a video in Chrome. Firefox works fine. Chrome 46 version and up fixed the issue. I tested it out with the 46 development release and can verify the fix worked.
Reference to the bug: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=437836

Users who are viewing this thread

Back