Dragonfly Black and Red compared with Samsung Galaxy S7
Aug 3, 2016 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ohenriquez

New Head-Fier
Dear Members

The guys from Sound Lab in Auckland New Zealand kindly allowed me to do a comparison

I compared both today in my S7 Edge and I, of course, used OTG adaptor. I used Audioquest NightHawk headphones

I used music FLAC files with Poweramp and Spotify

I did not notice  any  difference in audio quality. The sound was just the same. The sound coming from my Samsung S7 edge with the headphones was the same as the sound when using Dragonfly DACs. 

When I used the red, the volume was actually lower (I had read this in the forums already)

The guys from the store told me that the devices had the "latest firmware update" and that there was no need to buy a dedicated app in order to use Dragonfly DAC (I told them about Audio Player Pro)

I checked the Dragonfly light status and was Magenta: 96000.0 Hz (when playing some DAC files)

I spent at least 40 minutes trying to find a difference in sound

Not sure whether the OTG adaptor was not the best quality and if I should buy the official that Audioquest sells (I don't think the reason is the quality of the OTG adaptor used as the DAC light was Magenta?)

Sadly, in view of this, I did not buy them

I am sure that there is something that I am missing as I have read glowing reviews that say that the quality of sound definitively improves. I also think that the DAC in the Samsung S7 edge has inferior quality than the Dragonfly Black one. 

I also wonder whether the dragonfly may improve the listening experience in my car or when using my Marshall Stanmore (playing music in my Samsung S7 and using an auxiliary cable connected from the Dragonfly to the car or speaker). I normally stream my FLAC files to my speaker with Chromecast and optical toslink cable (for that purpose I use Rocket Player as it has Chromecast support).

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards

Omar

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 7
The Galaxy S7 Edge measures extremely well in audio quality: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-review-1409p8.php. So sure. Might not hear a difference unless you used difficult to drive headphones that would benefit from more power.

Since the Edges's DAC output measures even better than the headphone output, I wouldn't count on getting better sound out of the dragonfly when plugged to other devices either.

If you want to upgrade your sound quality, get better headphones :)

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Thank you very much and what you said it makes sense
Actually I am happy with the sound quality, which is quite good

I tested my phone with other top end headphones and quality of sound is not far superior from the one coming with my Audioquest NightHawk

I am just getting started with them, and I believe quality will improve after many hours of listening

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Dear Members

The guys from Sound Lab in Auckland New Zealand kindly allowed me to do a comparison

I compared both today in my S7 Edge and I, of course, used OTG adaptor. I used Audioquest NightHawk headphones

I did not notice any difference in audio quality. The sound was just the same. The sound coming from my Samsung S7 edge with the headphones was the same as the sound when using Dragonfly DACs.

When I used the red, the volume was actually lower (I had read this in the forums already)

The guys from the store told me that the devices had the "latest firmware update" and that there was no need to buy a dedicated app in order to use Dragonfly DAC (I told them about Audio Player Pro)

I checked the Dragonfly light status and was Magenta: 96000.0 Hz (when playing some DAC files)

Not sure whether the OTG adaptor was not the best quality and if I should buy the official that Audioquest sells (I don't think the reason is the quality of the OTG adaptor used as the DAC light was Magenta?)

I am sure that there is something that I am missing as I have read glowing reviews that say that the quality of sound definitively improves. I also think that the DAC in the Samsung S7 edge has inferior quality than the Dragonfly Black one.

I also wonder whether the dragonfly may improve the listening experience in my car or when using my Marshall Stanmore (playing music in my Samsung S7 and using an auxiliary cable connected from the Dragonfly to the car or speaker). I normally stream my FLAC files to my speaker with Chromecast and optical toslink cable (for that purpose I use Rocket Player as it has Chromecast support).

Best Regards

Omar
Dear Members

I did not notice any difference in audio quality. The sound was just the same. The sound coming from my Samsung S7 edge with the headphones was the same as the sound when using Dragonfly DACs.

The guys from the store told me that the devices had the "latest firmware update" and that there was no need to buy a dedicated app in order to use Dragonfly DAC (I told them about Audio Player Pro)

I also wonder whether the dragonfly may improve the listening experience in my car or when using my Marshall Stanmore (playing music in my Samsung S7 and using an auxiliary cable connected from the Dragonfly to the car or speaker). I normally stream my FLAC files to my speaker with Chromecast and optical toslink cable (for that purpose I use Rocket Player as it has Chromecast support).

Best Regards

Omar

ohenriquez I
ve read many technical reviews of the Dragonfly Black and Red DACs and can state with confidence, both are superior to the headphone DAC used in the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The newly released Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphones have improved headphone DACs, according to technical reviews. I recommend you try using the Dragontail OTG adapter cable, as it has received praise for its superior audio quality. Try using Sennheiser HD650 headphones as a reference.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 7
Sounds like Spotify and Poweramp are using the default Android audio subsystem to output an upsampled 96k signal to the Dragonfly. Try using UAPP to output a bit-perfect signal to the Dragonfly. Pretty sure you'll hear a difference then, and with no volume issue either.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 7
I recently got myself a Dragonfly Red to drive a V-Moda M-100. From the start I've used the USB Audio Player Pro app that bypasses the Android subsystem and drives an exteral DAC directly and which offers very good EQ functionality with preset profiles (Morphit plugin) that I used to compensate for the V-shape profile of the V-moda headphones.

However, I also didn't find the difference with my S7 Edge sound that big and wondered if I maybe spent too much money on a DAC for mainly getting the possibility to produce quite a bit more volume. This was until I read the instruction manual attentively instructing the user to always adjust software volume to 100% and control the level using the hardware volume level... this completely transforms the experience!

After that I didn't even use the output of the S7 Edge for more than a week anymore. The sound the Dragonfly produces paired to good equalisation on the V-moda's was addicting. I tried it a couple of days ago again with the same settings using USB Audio Player Pro which with the latest update is also able to drive the S7 Edge DAC directly instead of trough the Android subsystem. The difference is shocking and the S7 Edge sounds muffled in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back