DR150 v. HD555
Apr 16, 2007 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

theadmans

New Head-Fier
I am going to take the plunge and buy some new Headphones to go with my Little Dot 2 Amplifier. At the moment unless I can find a cheap pair of HD600's I'm almost certain I'm going to go for either the Goldring DR150 or Sennheiser HD555.

The reason I got rid of my old headphones was they tended to get uncomfortable with extended listening and were a touch bright with the Little Dot 2 (original version not + or ++).

So I am looking for comfort and a less bright sound - what's it to be HD555 or DR150
confused.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I had Audio Technica ATH-911 headphones purchased in 1989 before. When you say the DR150 is a tad brighter would you say the tonal balance is bright per se (or just brighter than the HD555)??

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Can't provide a comparison to the HD555 but I would not tag the Docs as being bright. In the beginning they are a bit sibilant but this all but disappears after some burn-in time. They have a wonderful full bass sound and the mids are well represented. The Goldrings are a fun can and very comfortable after some use (they have initial clamping issues). They are also easy to drive. I once compared them to the HD595s and I preferred my Docs rather handily.

Not a big soundstage, mind you. They don't do that well with full orchestra music.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by theadmans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your advice guys!!

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of DR150's - got a good price (£60 delivered)
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
. Can't wait to get them!

Congratulations. Give them about 100 hours to burn in, and you'll be very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back