Dr. Xin Supermicro IV Questions
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dropkickduffy

100+ Head-Fier
Heyas,

I had a few questions before biting the bullet and getting a Supermicro VI. I'm well aware of the time it takes for Dr. Xin to build and ship these badboys (3-6 months). Fortunately, the time it takes is not a concern for me. What I was wondering is:

(1) How does this amp pair with Shure SE530s? Is the warmth of the Shures + Supermicro too much? I know that the Supermicro was created with the ER4P in mind, and that the Tomahawk was created for the SE530. Which leaves me to my next question...

(2) Would a Tomahawk be a better purchase than the Supermicro? I know a lot of people recommend picking up the the Tomahawk for the short term and then, once the Micro arrives, selling one or the other. As a student without a lot of disposable income, I only have enough money to buy one. And lastly...

(3) Do I have the option of getting the full-black case shown in Xin's newest model? It seems like the whole exterior has been revamped from the clear-colored line of cases. I much prefer the full-black but I could not find the option on the ordering page. Here is a link to the amp.

http://www.fixup.net/products/inlineamp/index.htm

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heyas,

I had a few questions before biting the bullet and getting a Supermicro VI. I'm well aware of the time it takes for Dr. Xin to build and ship these badboys (3-6 months). Fortunately, the time it takes is not a concern for me. What I was wondering is:

(1) How does this amp pair with Shure SE530s? Is the warmth of the Shures + Supermicro too much? I know that the Supermicro was created with the ER4P in mind, and that the Tomahawk was created for the SE530. Which leaves me to my next question...

(2) Would a Tomahawk be a better purchase than the Supermicro? I know a lot of people recommend picking up the the Tomahawk for the short term and then, once the Micro arrives, selling one or the other. As a student without a lot of disposable income, I only have enough money to buy one. And lastly...

(3) Do I have the option of getting the full-black case shown in Xin's newest model? It seems like the whole exterior has been revamped from the clear-colored line of cases. I much prefer the full-black but I could not find the option on the ordering page. Here is a link to the amp.

http://www.fixup.net/products/inlineamp/index.htm

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

1 - i cant be of any help on that one - sry, i am thinking about getting a supermicro IV for my soon to be more portable rig, and also the ety er-4p

2 - again havent heard a tomahawk, but as xin doesnt charge you until shipping, if you pay by CC, you can order it now, and buy your tomahawk, that way when you sell the tomahawk after listening to the SMIV and recoup the funds by then easy.

3 - as far as i know that link is old? - try this and scroll down to supermicro IV section and you can choose a opaque solid black case for extra 10$

http://www.fixup.net/products/index.htm

HTH

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 21
You are right. It seems this new micro model is not offered on the order page. Try to contact Xin and ask him about it...and keep us informed! :)

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 21
Ahh, I see. I wasn't sure if that was the new one or not. Well, I've seen some members on the forum with a solid black case that also had an on-off switch. I believe EFN originally received his black Supermicro in this case. However, his new Supermicro looks like this.

Is this a custom case? I know EFN is quite handy, but it has a Xin sticker on it. I much EFN's current rendition. Does anyone know which one Xin ships?

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 21
I thought the wait wouldn't be bad either but after trying to talk to Xin many times and getting no reply I figured out it was not worth it even 4 months into my wait. I gave up on it and I told him to cancel my order but I received no reply.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give any input on pairing the E500/530s w/ the Supermicro IV? This is my biggest concern.

It is a very nice combo, send a PM to Vorlon1 for additional information. He has both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back