Dr. Shurelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love IEMs
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Hakone

Head-Fier
Thought I'd share something that might be an informative viewpoint on IEMs.
It was only a year and a half ago I discovered I had a liking for IEMs, but only just now I discovered I had a love for them.
I started out humbly with a-jays to get my feet wet with IEMs and to get a feel of what they had to offer. This was not really all a pleasurable experience as the issues I feared haunted me. They kept popping out of my ear, the fit was horrible and I wasnt all that impressed with the sound.

Then soon after I noticed a used pair of UE Super.fi 5 EBs.
Now this was an improvement!
Not only in sound, but fit most of all was a godsend in comparison. This is the first time I ever used anything other than headphones that i could call somewhat comfortable. The memory wire is what did the most here. Having IEMs stay put was somewhat of a revelation. Finally i could wear things in my ears for extended periods of time and still move around.
Then I had a stroke of bad luck and.. temporarily put my UEs out of comission.
Time had come to look for something new. I looked a bit around and decided on the Shure SE215s. Unlucky again. They were sold out everywhere so I went for the SE315s.

Now this was really what I was looking for all along. In terms of comfort this is my new standard for IEMs. I can use these for hours on end actually. This is the brilliant trifecta of memory-wire, Shure olives and the shape itself. Lovely to finally be able to lie on the side with IEMs. Non-fatiguing sound is quite a plus too. I could do some comments on the sound, but I now have plans that make my wallet shudder. I really want to compare these to the 215s, as this seems to be in question around here.
Also, I start wanting to try some Westones. I believe the sound is more to my taste and the fit seems much the same. Might miss the olives though.. Problem is, I sill need to order them from outside of Norway and then theres the 25% import tax. So I have to save some serious dough before this experiment. Maybe some day..

So my point is, if you are looking for comfort in IEMs. Consider Shure, or anything with this form and foam tips.
Oh, and to those who were disappointed by the post with such an amusing title, sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back