Dr. Kim at Drexel?
Jul 25, 2006 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I'm enrolled in a week-long engineering program at Drexel in Philly. It's mostly for people heading into their senior year at high school, and who want to go to college for engineering. The whole premise is that there's professors for several different types of engineering who will all tell you about what they do, then you have a fun (it's pretty hands-on) and informative experience, and you get a feel for what kind of engineering you like to do.

So, today was the Electrical/Computer Engineering day. They tell everyone to bring headphones. I pondered whether to bring my knock-around SR-60s or my beloved K340s, but I decided that the K340s were too big and there might not be a big enough amp for them.

So, the ECE professor comes up. He's a guy probably in his 20s, really enthusiastic about electrical engineering, most specifically music/audio stuff. So right away, the Head-Fi radar is going off. The above description nailed a good third of Head-Fi, so I'm alert.

So we're in the electronics lab, and I have my SR-60s on the table. He says to me "Nice headphones. I have them in my classroom too."

So then we go to the sound studio, and he's got a few students and a pretty amazing array of computer audio equipment, along with at least one Grado can and what looked like HD280s. He really reminded me of the people I met at the various meets.

I didn't want to ask if he was a Head-Fi member while I was there, but I figured that I'd make a thread about it.

If you're reading this - Hi!

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 12
His name is Alex. Alex Kim.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. I'm thinking bout going to Drexel for Electrical Engineering
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 12
Well, I'm an Alex Kim, but I don't have a Phd, in fact, I haven't even gone to college yet. He could be a relative of mine though, I mean, how many Kims are there?

-A

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Dr. Kim.. oh yeah, that's my father. Does he look like Bruce Lee?

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
His first name has a a lot of syllables and is not English in origin. I think it starts with an 'S'.

Sennheiser A. Kim. The "A" is for Alex.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 12
But where's the "S"?

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Well Kim is my first name. Sennheiser is just a nickname I picked up over the years, and it really stuck. I was disguise as an Asian male because I don't want my online identity getting linked to my real one. I even pretended to like the sr60's so that you'd know that maybe I was a headfier.

So Hi right back at ya!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 12
Yep, I can't believe folks still thought I was this guy until my pic started popping up in Meet threads. What gives? I guess anonymity really rules supreme on the boards.
carlin.jpg

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yep, I can't believe folks still thought I was this guy until my pic started popping up in Meet threads. What gives? I guess anonymity really rules supreme on the boards.
carlin.jpg

]
That looks like a young George Carlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back