Dr. Kevorkian or Dr. Frankenstein? My shures are on their deathbed.
Aug 26, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
The right channel on my shures cuts out with cable movement. To get it to work, I have to wear them incorrectly/uncomfortably. I can tell the wire has inconsistency contact with the driver.

These are out of warranty and a repair would cost around $115 from shure, a price I don't find worth it. I'm willing to risk breaking them if a recable is *somewhat* possible. I just don't know how to go about it, or is it literally impossible to open the casing without breaking them?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Get them remolded. UniqueMelody in China will transplant the the drivers, etc. into a new custom molded, acrylic shell. You'll have to provide silicon impressions of your ears which can be acquired from an audiologist for $20 or more (I just got mine free from a hearing aid distributor down the street from my house. He didn't charge a dime). They use sockets for replaceable cables, so next time your cable shorts out, you can simply pull the cable out and plug in a new one. It'll cost you at least $88 USD. There's a thread about it here.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get them remolded. UniqueMelody in China will transplant the the drivers, etc. into a new custom molded, acrylic shell. You'll have to provide silicon impressions of your ears which can be acquired from an audiologist for $20 or more (I just got mine free from a hearing aid distributor down the street from my house. He didn't charge a dime). They use sockets for replaceable cables, so next time your cable shorts out, you can simply pull the cable out and plug in a new one. It'll cost you at least $88 USD. There's a thread about it here.

Thanks, that's very helpful. $90 is great price considering Shure's bill.
For discussion's sake, is it worth it for just under $100? Or am I better off investing in a new pair of shures? (I'd probably want to stick with them because i have a variety of tips I like, but bargaisn can persuade me.)

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 5
I would much rather have a pair of customs over a universal fit any day, especially when you already enjoy the sound of the Se530s. They can only get better with a custom fit. Plus, you get a 1 year warranty with UM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back