DPS: Bongiovi vs Viper
May 7, 2016 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rantrile

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a fan of using Bongiovi DPS. I have purchased it for my Android, iOS and got one free for Windows PC. Even though iPhone 4 is considered to produce a pretty solid sound, using Bongiovi improves the sound noticeably to significantly.

I wonder what is the opinion of fellow audiophiles about the DPS?

In addition, lately many people were advising to try Viper. As I currently have WP phone, iPhone and unrooted Android tablet it seems I cannot install it.

I would still be interested in a comparison: normal sound vs Bongiovi vs Viper. A note, there are many profiles and options, so it might be difficult to bluntly say which DPS is better, unless one will be able to spend considerable time of finding a perfect profile/option combination for his audio setup for both Bongiovi and Viper. And even then, it might be just in relation to this particular audio setup.

In any case, in Bongiovi I'm using [Phoenix Headphones] profile on both my iPhone 4 and Android tablet, so let's use it as a reference point.

For those who never tried it: You may try it on Android by getting Jetaudio player on Google Play, going to Sound effects, selecting Bongiovi DPS. Then you can select [Phoenix Headphone] profile for headphone output. Then you can click on big B button and it should apply the DPS for about 10 or so seconds. At least that is how it was in the past, not sure about now, maybe they do allow for a longer free listening period.

I'm posting it on IEM forum because I'm specifically interested to know opinions regarding how this DPS improves the sound when listening via IEMs.

May 30, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Hm, not a single reply? A lot of discussions about improving sound quality via hardware, better dac/amp, etc. But in my experience DSP provides quite noticeable improvement.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 6
I just came across this because I have been messing around with low dollar earphones and cans with my LG V10 that has audiophile chips.  I purchase Jet player and noticed the DSP from Bongiovi.

I recently purchased some low cost cans from LYXpro their $50 OEH-10's.  They sound very bland but with the DSP, much better.

Bongiovi has what looks to be around a hundred different options based on a variety of earbuds and headsets.  I'm using the Audio Technica P6000 setting which seems to work the best for the headphones mentioned above.  Some of the other settings don't sound good at all.

So I'm not sure how they arrived at these different settings for the various earbuds and headsets as well as a couple of options for speakers.

Their website has some info:

http://bongioviacoustics.com/dps/

I'm guessing that if you have a system that is near perfect, this won't help.  How could it?  But if your system isn't perfect, such as using $50 cans, it will make up for the inadequacies of your system.

I even messed around with it on my home system which is a Lazarus tube preamp, a Hafler XL280 amplifier and Vandersteen speakers.  The system is in a crappy room right now until I get another listening room set up.  The DSP did wonders for the sound.  I still don't completely understand why, but after using it, it's hard to turn it off.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 6
The DSP seems to give a bit of a grainy sound.  the frequency response is improved and it expands the soundstage.

I turned it off and played around with the EQ.  this doesn't add the graininess and helps a bit.  I'm mostly adding treble starting at about 1K and increasing as I to up to 20k.

This tells me these cans are a bit bass heavy.

the imaging is OK and the soundstage is OK.  I'm enjoying better than any of my cheap earbuds (KZ-ATE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back