Downsizing a high end rig - can you go back?
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 37
While I do think downsizing is possible I would only do it because I have to. At the moment I feel I reached my peak not because of how good the music sounds but because of how much I enjoy it. While my headphones are the HD650 I have over 10K of equipment in the back and this is my true end game just because I completely forget about the technicalities every time and I spend hours and hours just listening to albums I never normally did.
Anyway my secondary setup is just the Lynx E22 as a DAC instead of a transport with Schiit Saga to Ember 2.1 and again HD650 so around 1K used. It took a lot of tube rolling as with my main rig but I found it's now 85% as good and I would gladly live with it if I had to. I don't wan't to but I could if I needed to and I would still be happy. Otherwise I would probably sell everything. My point is that it's the same headphone I enjoy in my main so @mulder01 I don't think you can get rid of the Abyss. A less expensive setup yes but there might be a reason you don't want to let it go.
Before I found the HD650 setup I also had the Abyss among others, sold it because of downsizing just like you want and 6 month later I bought my exact pair again because I didn't feel I was done with it. It is epic and an event to listen to with the gear I had at the time Yggy->600i/WA5 but for me the honeymoon just wore off after a few months both times and I knew it wasn't THE one.
Selling is the time you find out what you like. I had no problems getting rid of the HD800,LCD-3,LCD-4,HEK,Abyss,Eikon and I feel no remorse apart from that one time with the Abyss.

Now if you really like your setup with the Abyss why change it? No one is forcing you to spend big money anymore expect for marketing and head-fi. You don't have to upgrade but then you get faced with the scary thought that you have your end-game and do you really really like it or do you feel the need to try something else? I know I don't.

For IEM I have the CA Andromeda with WM1A, exceptional sound and so close to the HD650 sound, must be why I like it so much. You have to find IEM that sound like the abyss which are...?

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 37
You've talked about this frequently over the years...but it's not like that for me at all.

As I mentioned, one of my primary goals is to get as close as I can to the truth of what is on the recording.

In other words, high fidelity reproduction of the countless thousands of recordings I listen to, in nearly all genres, ranging from low to high sound quality.

The focus for me is the music I like regardless of how well-produced it is.

If anything, better gear makes all music more enjoyable for me. But the crucial distinction is that I do not expect crappy recordings to sound like a philharmonic orchestra.

The equipment is a tool to enjoy music, not the other way around.

If (unlike me) you cannot enjoy certain recordings with better equipment, then perhaps you're right that you may need a more casual system for those.
agreed....i have had some equipement over the years that made me listen to only well recorded music.....i like to think that it was over analytical...gotta find a balance

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 37
Stax or death? No. Maybe this was quasi-true 15 years ago, but things have accelerated so much in non-electrostatic headphones that the "best" in personal music satisfaction for many is with non-stat systems. And this is at the highest audiophile level.

There is no consensus that the highest overall performance is only available with electrostatic systems. (Of course, some still feel to their ears that e-stats are the best, but this is subjective.)

And DAC performance (and amps) have also vastly improved the performance and insight of regular dynamic/mag-planar phones.

Things have changed.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #22 of 37
Stax or death? No. Maybe this was quasi-true 15 years ago, but things have accelerated so much in non-electrostatic headphones that the "best" in personal music satisfaction for many is with non-stat systems. And this is at the highest audiophile level.

There is no consensus that the highest overall performance is only available with electrostatic systems. (Of course, some still feel to their ears that e-stats are the best, but this is subjective.)

And DAC performance (and amps) have also vastly improved the performance and insight of regular dynamic/mag-planar phones.

Things have changed.

Not to turn this into the STAX show.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Living with a DIY T2 will open up your ears. I'm not kidding myself, the DIY T2 + SR-009 is the absolute very best pairing I've ever heard.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #23 of 37
OK, I never had the pleasure of meeting a T2, so point taken. Thank you.
(PS, how is the T2 with the SR007, just out of curiosity? Thx again.)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 37
My view on a perceived insane amount of money on a HP system is, there are others who spent more. It is all relative. If you get the hours on it, why worry. A bit like, I need a holiday really bad, so I'll go to the beach 20 miles away and freeze my n...ts off (but save some money, or shall I hop on a plane and swim in the warm waters of the Med? And of course, once you taste the 'best' there is the possibility you can still enjoy something of lesser quality, but it won't quite be the same.

So, life is too short, and unless you can't pay the electric bill or feed the kids, just forget the whole idea of downsizing, what is wrong with you??? We are audiophiles and obsessives, and proud of it! In fact, unless you CC is maxed out, there is always room for another headphone Ha Ha.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 37
Great point astrostar. And as you get older, high-end audio is something you can still enjoy as much as you did when you were a lot younger. And it doesn't cause health problems like other habits (as long as you get some decent exercise the rest of the day).
And someone should buy astrostar's SR007A. I have it and it's top on the heap, better than the SR009 in my book. (Just ask Birgir.) And this one is the best version IMHO.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #27 of 37
agreed....i have had some equipement over the years that made me listen to only well recorded music.....i like to think that it was over analytical...gotta find a balance

I think the 1266 finds that balance (in the high end part of the market). I was listening to some not-so-great recordings yesterday just for comparison's sake and ordinary recordings still sound good, but it's nice to get the most from your system. I'm not saying I CAN'T listen to bad recordings, I'm just saying in general, MOST people favour other tracks. A friend of mine went and had a listen to a guys 6 figure stereo a little while ago and he was playing the usual audiophile type crap, and when my friend asked him to play something poorly recorded just to see how it sounded, the guy looked at my friend like he just insulted his mother...

Anyways... enough on this topic I think.

I'll always love my WDS DAC from Woo Audio.
It's literally cool.

Plug that bad boy into the HE1? I sure that will raise a few 'brows...

My view on a perceived insane amount of money on a HP system is, there are others who spent more. It is all relative. If you get the hours on it, why worry. A bit like, I need a holiday really bad, so I'll go to the beach 20 miles away and freeze my n...ts off (but save some money, or shall I hop on a plane and swim in the warm waters of the Med? And of course, once you taste the 'best' there is the possibility you can still enjoy something of lesser quality, but it won't quite be the same.

So, life is too short, and unless you can't pay the electric bill or feed the kids, just forget the whole idea of downsizing, what is wrong with you??? We are audiophiles and obsessives, and proud of it! In fact, unless you CC is maxed out, there is always room for another headphone Ha Ha.

Although I like good quality audio, and have 5 figures worth of headphone system, I don't really consider myself an audiophile. I wanted to stop myself before I took it too far. I probably average about an hour or so a week of headphone use so I feel a bit guilty owning this stuff sometimes. I think I can let go of just about everything except the 1266 without too much heartache. It's just a crazy headphone - And I had to make my own headband to make them fit my giant noggin properly. The lack of clamping force is good for comfort, but is a bit difficult if you're doing other stuff - looking up or down they are a bit loose. I just thought I might be able to find something a bit more understated and "normal" that was 'close enough'... Downsizing isn't essential (I don't even have a credit card or kids to feed) but I thought it would be more easily doable.

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #28 of 37
I just thought I might be able to find something a bit more understated and "normal" that was 'close enough'... Downsizing isn't essential (I don't even have a credit card or kids to feed) but I thought it would be more easily doable.

Have you considered the LCD-C? It's on offer at the moment. Mine is incoming this week. At 600USD (bought direct) and the classic LCD2 sound might just fit the bill for you. It is also lighter than the LCD2 wood version, about 30% less weight. The LCD2C thread on here is red hot, most are saying great things about it. I have only hear the Abyss once, but I get the sonic signature a bit. The deep and powerful bass on the LCD2 and the warmish treble / mids may well be spot on for you. I also bought the Metrum Aurix (bought direct) on offer as well and it is super compact, no frill but hopefully good sound.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #29 of 37
OK, I never had the pleasure of meeting a T2, so point taken. Thank you.
(PS, how is the T2 with the SR007, just out of curiosity? Thx again.)
Everything sounds sublime out of the T2.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #30 of 37
I'm not saying I CAN'T listen to bad recordings, I'm just saying in general, MOST people favour other tracks.

I think most people (including audiophiles) favor listening to whatever the heck they want, and this is not limited to any particular thing.

I do not think it's true that most audiophiles mostly listen to high fidelity recordings, because that severely limits who is an audiophile. There are countless members here (and on other audiophile forums, etc.) who listen to all types of music, and some who focus on genres that tend to have production quality far lower than the best acoustic recordings. Just look at @paradoxper, for example. He has owned some of the best gear out there, but listens to tons of metal. (As do I.)

There seems to be a semantic clash between two different definitions of the word audiophile.

The basic meaning is someone who is interested in high fidelity reproduction of sound. The all-inclusive philosophy is that the equipment can only, at best, reproduce what is on the recording, so the objective is to reproduce the recording accurately, regardless of the fidelity of the recording to the original sound.

Then there are those who take it beyond that and only want high fidelity reproduction of high fidelity recordings.

I feel sorry for anyone who exclusively listens to music with superb production quality, because they're missing out on the vast majority of awesome music out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back