Downmixing In Absentia DVD-A to Stereo (Help)
Mar 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've used DVD Explorer to extract the 5.1 files from this Porcupine Tree in Absentia DVD-A. However, when I downmix these WAV files to Stereo (using Eac3to) there is a lot of hiss on the resulting files. I've used this exact same method to downmix around 5 other DVD-A disks without issue, but this one is causing me a bit of grief. I'm suspecting the problem is to do with the LFE and Centre channel.

Has anyone here successfully downmixed In Absentia to Stereo? How did you do it?

Cheers!

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 7
Try using audacity, that way you can play with the levels of the channels rather than just hoping the downmix sounds balanced.

I've dabled with remixing it with cubase before, off memory i reversed the centre channel polarity which got rid of a lot of the drum reverb, sounded better imo. don't remember any hiss issues.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a reason you didn't extract the 24/48 stereo track instead?

Because it's mixed a lot louder than the 5.1 version.

I'm curious as to what levels I'd have to use in Audacity?

edit - Ok, I've done it. I used FOOBAR to convert it to stereo WAV, using the 5.1 to Stereo DSP. I also used the ReplayGain to prevent clipping.

biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a reason you didn't extract the 24/48 stereo track instead?

as said its too loud. Its the same master as the cd version. Now that i've had another look, the 5.1 edition has less reverb too, the original had some dodgy mastering reverb added, sound of muzik in particular it was noticable.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 7
There is also a plugin for foobar called matrix mixer. It is an 18 channel mixer that allows downmixing as well as individual channel volume control. Unfortunately, like the 5.1 to stereo DSP, I have no idea at what bit depth this is done in (hopefully 32 bit floating point). In addition, the 5.1 to stereo DSP has no control over how the surround or center channel(s) are integrated an to what volume; this matrix mixer does. To be honest, I have not tried it, but it is supposed to be very good according to hydrogenaudio. I plan to try it though.

If neither of those work out in the end, you could dabble in mutitrack mixdowns in programs like Audacity and Adobe Audition for absolute control in a 32 bit process (to prevent clipping when combining and normalizing). That is what I did with In Absentia. I also added a bit of bass as the 5.1 mix is a bit lean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back