Downgrading from the HD580 .. what are my options?
Jun 26, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 24
Try the Koss KSC-35 or KSC-75. They sound great unamped and are what I consider to be "fun" headphones. They are also relatively cheap.
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Try the Koss KSC-35 or KSC-75. They sound great unamped and are what I consider to be "fun" headphones. They are also relatively cheap.
icon10.gif

x2.... KSC75 or KTX Pro1. cut a circle out the foam and you start to come seriously close to SR60 territory. For $15 shipped its a stellar downgrade... LOL One of my most comfey cans to, I can hardly feel them clinging to my ears.

Garrett

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #18 of 24
Looks like I have more reviews and research to do .. thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions.

cool.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 24
I think the KOSS PortaPro would be a nice easy to drive headphone and be somewhat comfortable with the comfort zone adjuster that they have.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 24
Well, I've got a Senn 555, a Grado SR-60 and SR-325i.

On the comfort issue, the Senns are clearly superior. That said, I don't find the Grados uncomfortable, just that the Senns are more comfortable. It's not uncommon for me to listen for 3-4 hours while working at my computer.

Sound-wise, since I've had my 325i, the Senns are pretty much collecting dust. I listen to mainly classic rock (Jimi, Zep, Van Halen) and blues rock (SRV, Clapton). The Grados are just much more in-your-face. When I'm in the mood for something a bit more relaxed (Steely Dan) I reach for the Senns.

My personal opinion would be to keep the Senns, if you can, and pick up a low end Grado or Alessandro. You'll get the best of both worlds. As someone else said, I too have become a fan of variety in sound.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 24
Do they HD 201's have the Senn sound signature? I have e4c's & MS1's & am currious about trying the Senns. There are no stores near me to try them out. Just wondering if the 201's would give an idea of the Senn sound w/out spending a lot of money & would there be a big difference in the sound of these & the MS1's?

Jun 26, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 24
I see a good majority of people think I should pick up the HD55's but I'm looking for a different sound as well.

I remember at the San Jose Head Fi meet NeilPeart let me listen to some Grado SR-225's I believe. I was listening back and forth between the Grados and my HD580's and the sound was completely different. I enjoyed the Grado sound much more. I was going to sell and switch to Grados but shortly after I got interested in another hobby ( car audio ) and just enjoyed the Senns and quit worrying about sound.

Now I'm back interested in headphones.

I can't afford the SR-225's but I might just pick up some SR-60's and work my way up to that fun Grado sound.

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
On the comfort issue, the Senns are clearly superior.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I found my SR-60s much more comfortable than my HD580s. I have a very wide head (very hard to find hats that fit!), and the SR-60s were easy to bend open with their strip metal headband so as to not press too much on the sides of my head. Hell, I'd say they were the most comfortable cans I've ever use. The 580s, on the other hand, while I much prefer the sound, are MUCH tighter on my head, and as such, I can only really stand to wear them for an hour or two at a time.

As for the OP's question, I'd say to try out the Alessandro MS1 as suggested above, of if you want to spend less, one of the good cheap Koss phones (PortaPros, KSC-35/75).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back