"Downgrading" from an Archos AV500
May 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FireFawks

Banned
Hi Everyone.

I recieved an Archos AV500 just over two months ago as a gift... however, I'm finding that it's much too large and I'm not really using the video features. I'm loving the 30Gb of memory though.
smily_headphones1.gif
A huge step up from the 64Mb Creative MuVo I had before.

What's a good MP3 player with 20-30Gb of storage, that is roughly iPod-sized (or smaller!)? It doesn't need to have video, but it's nice to have for occasional use. I would like it to have equal or better sound quality vs. my AV500. I use it with a pair of Beyer DT 860 headphones (got from a previous sound gig)... I know that my MuVo couldn't power them so I need something that can power it properly. Too bad I can't just strap an amp to my back!

I'm more familiar with traditional audio tech. rather than portable, but I prefer a brighter, more crisp sound over a muddier bassy one. Nothing too over done, either. I don't use equalizers, either, unless they're a last resort.. so a good EQ is not really important to me.

May 13, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Have you seen our amplification section?
icon10.gif

Wow.. would you believe that I've never heard of a portable amp?
biggrin.gif
These forums just got a whole lot more interesting.

What say you to the Zen Vision:M? I asked over at DAPReview and that seems to be highly recommended. Also, the Gigabeat "S" Series, but I can't even find that in most online stores.

Thanks! (Off to read the amplification section..)

May 13, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFawks
Wow.. would you believe that I've never heard of a portable amp?
biggrin.gif
These forums just got a whole lot more interesting.

What say you to the Zen Vision:M? I asked over at DAPReview and that seems to be highly recommended. Also, the Gigabeat "S" Series, but I can't even find that in most online stores.

Thanks! (Off to read the amplification section..)

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.
icon10.gif

Back to your question, now that you've discovered that it is possible to carry around an amp with your headphones, you might want to decide if you are going to get an amp. From what I know the ZVM doesn't have a lineout but some people don't mind having an amp attached to the headphone out. If you want to get really good sound you might want to get a portable DAC too. It's just a question of how far you want to go.
icon10.gif

Check out the portable amps first before you make a decision.

May 13, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.
icon10.gif

Back to your question, now that you've discovered that it is possible to carry around an amp with your headphones, you might want to decide if you are going to get an amp. From what I know the ZVM doesn't have a lineout but some people don't mind having an amp attached to the headphone out. If you want to get really good sound you might want to get a portable DAC too. It's just a question of how far you want to go.
icon10.gif

Check out the portable amps first before you make a decision.

What do you mean "sorry about your wallet"? That's what expense accounts are for.

Just kidding. I couldn't get away with that.
wink.gif

Anyways, I think getting an amp would be a viable option for me because most of the time my listening is sitting down, stationary. If I need it on the go, the Etymotics are probably efficient enough that they don't really need amping, correct?

Anyways, I've been looking around... I think I've settled on either an iPod (30Gb) or the Zen Vision:M... quite a typical choice, judging from these forums. Anyways, depending on how much my AV500 leaves me, I will probably pick up an amp.

I'm left with the choices:

iPod vs. ZVM,

and,

PA2 Version 2 vs. "Chu MOY" Amp (budget/laziness dependant)

or, if I win the lottery,

Xin SuperMacro.

All to be used with BeyerDynamic DT 860s, or a pair of Etymotics. A colleague of mine has been nagging me to get a pair of UEs, though.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

May 13, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFawks
iPod vs. ZVM

I haven't actually played too much with either of these so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you are planning to get an amp you should settle with the iPod because of the lineout. Also Rockbox now works with iPod so there are many possibilties, I heard they already got it playing FLAC, not sure if gapless is working yet though.

The ZVM supposedly has better picture quality, but it doesn't seem you really care about video.

I say go for the UEs. (Really sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back