"Downgrade" from Ipod Classic 6G to Ipod Video 5G
Feb 7, 2010 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ordered a 5G refurb. with a new Toshiba 120GB hard drive and a new battery and shell casing.

I wasn't too happy with the quality of my Classic 80GB so I am thinking of this as an upgrade actually. But I won't actually know till I hear....

Also, I am thinking of diymodding it, something that cannot be done on the Classic...

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Best of luck to you . . . the degrading quality of ipods (when original audio quality was already so-so without proper LOD) is one of the major reasons I have a 120Gb Zune.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 8
Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Please post your impressions, when you get it. I have an ipod 5.5 and can no longer stand to listen to it. I own a half-dozen newer DAPs, including a touch 2g and a 3g, that absolutely smoke it. My touches smoke all of my old ipods by a large margin. Judging from threads, I may not be alone in thinking the latest touch/iphone and classic perhaps have the best SQ of any ipods thus far.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Sure I will post impressions. In around 7-10 days when the 5G will have finally arrived. Before and post rock-boxing.

I will sell the weakest sounding (After I DIY mod the 5G of course)

I will test with STAX SR404s, Grado 225s, Grado 60s and a Speaker rig.

What quality mp3s do you feed your ipod with?

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What quality mp3s do you feed your ipod with?

320 k/bps mp3 ripped from original source.

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 8
I've now gone to LAME 3.98r V0 rips. Most people can't distinguish V0 from 320 or even lossless. I've never used lossless on a portable source, but I can't tell V0 from 320 and it takes up about 15% less space. For that matter, I doubt many people could tell V0 and V2 apart for mobile listening. I think that, past a certain point, encoder makes much more of a difference than bitrate. I'd never use anything but LAME anymore.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 8
The ipod 5G arrived.

I conducted an A/B test using the Grado SR-225 pair.

The 6G classic sounds indeed a bit cleaner with a bit less noise. Perhaps some could say it is more detailed sounding but nothing major.

The 6G suffers from some form of sibilance compared to the 5G

The 5G has much better mids (more realistic sounding and impactful)

The 5G has more of a visceral kind of bass

Overall the 5G straight out of the box sounds a tad better than the 6G. Without overanalyzing it just sounds more fun and enjoyable to hear.

I imagine that with the rockbox and 24bit/96Khz FLACS and the DIY-mod the 5G will become way better and a great portable source overall.

Mine was bought new (probably refurb with new shell-battery-screen etc) with a brand new toshiba 120GB drive installed for a very reasonable price through ebay. The seller was worth his feedback I guess. Came with box manual instructions, new cable, new ibuds etc.

The 6G is going for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back