Down the rabbit hole
Jul 30, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #76 of 82
Yeah I got hopes that this might become the first E-Stat that manages Bass like the He1.

Bass is the strong suit of Audeze, hope they can keep it up.

If it doesn't deliver in the Bass Departement my interest will be gone as well
If they managed to create an e-stat with LCD bass they would ask a LOT more than $4300 for it. Best we can probably hope for is that it competes with the Shangri-La Jr

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #77 of 82
Rabbit hole…

January 2018, I buy a A&K AK120MKII and a isine20. I watched a Zeus review (and actually took it seriously LOL) convincing me to buy the isine20. It hurt my ears and I returned it. However, now I had a dap with no headphone. It had some eq pre installed for the Beyerdynamic AKT5P. I looked up that model online and found this site called head-fi with a used AKT5P for sale. I bought it. At that time I obviously had no experience with what sound profile and signature I would prefer. This set off a lot of buying, selling, and trading of dozens of headphones. In my early stages, I thought a $1300 iem was crazy and unattainable. The Wells Audio Milo was an unbelievably expensive “maybe someday if my ship comes in” amp. When the ZMF Autuer came out…it was something I wouldn’t be able to attain ….Like ever.

I had a Audeze LCD4 that I wasnt really pleased with the sound. I thought maybe if I had a better amp. I researched and found the PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated which I thought was the answer. Turns out that i just wasnt a fan of that headphone but I found my amp. BUT…..it also is a damn good speaker amp. So I wanted to test it out obviously LOL so I bought a used $100 set of Paradigm speakers. Wow…but what if I had a nice pair….in come the Tannoy Autograph Mini….no wait….I should have the $8500 pair of Lawrence Audio Violin SE…..

Oh but what if I like the sound of a record player. There is a great used one locally hear on Craigslist. …. Yes it was nice but not as nice as the VPI Prime …. The $2000 stylus and the really nice phono stage.

Rabbit hole…

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #78 of 82
Update: unsure whether I've decided I don't like the A90 specifically or just that I prefer tubes to solid state, I decided to split the difference and ordered a Schiit Lyr 3 today. Valhalla 2 pairs beautifully with my ZMF Verite, but doesn't quite have the power to properly drive Arya. Lyr 3 will be replacing the A90 to drive Arya until next year when I hope to commit to an "endgame" OTC tube amp.

A new hybrid tube amp with a new unfamiliar socket also opens a new tube rolling rabbit hole, so win/win. lol

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #80 of 82
Continuing my rabbit hole with tube rolling for the first time!
Do you have to open thr chassis?
You had the Riviera right?

Which tubes are you rolling to?

Aug 22, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #81 of 82
Aug 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #82 of 82
Yes, the cover has to come off.

Yes, Riviera AIC-10.

Comparing the stock tube to Amperex Bugle Boy and Mullard M8136, but have 3 more tubes coming (Fivre, La Radiotechnique and Mullard CV491).
Enjoy and keep us posted about the experience.
Sharing is caring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back