Down the ChiFi rabbit hole! Upgrade Path help please!
May 4, 2020 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SlipperySquid

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
The only IEM's I own at the moment are a set of KZ ZSX and to be fair they sound pretty good but I have nothing to compare to but to be fair they're not the most comfortable even tried different tips.

I listen to a varied playlist mainly settling on EDM, film scores and female vocal music.

Using mainly flac files played through Ibasso dx150

My budget is up to about £300 but I would sooner be around half of that :D and don't mind buying used.

The market is so saturated I just don't know where to start and every review seems to be glowing review after glowing review.

I don't even have a list to start with as no sooner as I think...yup I'll settle with these ones, I see another set that tweaks my interest.

So what do you guys have, or have used that have blown you away at a certain price point.

I know this has been asked a million times and I apologise but I'm trying to condense a list for myself, so I'm being selfish :wink:

I'm looking for a wide soundstage with detail, I suppose...I just don't know!

If you can help with any input that would be greatley appreciated.

Cheers all, stay safe!

May 4, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi all,
The only IEM's I own at the moment are a set of KZ ZSX and to be fair they sound pretty good but I have nothing to compare to but to be fair they're not the most comfortable even tried different tips.

I listen to a varied playlist mainly settling on EDM, film scores and female vocal music.

Using mainly flac files played through Ibasso dx150

My budget is up to about £300 but I would sooner be around half of that :D and don't mind buying used.

The market is so saturated I just don't know where to start and every review seems to be glowing review after glowing review.

I don't even have a list to start with as no sooner as I think...yup I'll settle with these ones, I see another set that tweaks my interest.

So what do you guys have, or have used that have blown you away at a certain price point.

I know this has been asked a million times and I apologise but I'm trying to condense a list for myself, so I'm being selfish :wink:

I'm looking for a wide soundstage with detail, I suppose...I just don't know!

If you can help with any input that would be greatley appreciated.

Cheers all, stay safe!

Hi if u like a wide soundstage with detail, check out reviews on the Audiosense T800, $298 USD, 8 knowles BA.
Excellent imaging, details, clarity, instrument separation. Even though it is a BA bass, it sounds like a DD bass due to the vented subwoofer design. Only thing is this is a bright IEM, so not the best for treble sensitive folks. Though the treble can be tamed with knowles filters (see dedicated Audiosense thread on headfi), different eartips and potentially source.

I've read good reviews on the Moondrop Blessing 2 and ISN H40 though I haven't tried them. U can ask more in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...ith-reference-list-no-big-brands-here.872245/

May 6, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Do you know Crinacle's list? https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
Although it's just one person's opinion, Crinacle has heard a lot and I find his judgement to be pretty reliable.

One of the main questions for me is whether you prefer high resolution and detail over natural timbre, coherent and smoother sound.
As a rule of thumb, BA drivers will sound faster, have more detail and resolution, DD drivers a more natural timbre, coherent sound top to bottom and can move more air in the bass.

If you are after a smooth and natural sound the Moondrop Starfield would be a good option (I had the older Kanas Pro and loved the airy and floaty sound with bass rumble, and the Starfield are 40% cheaper and said to be better)
A step above that would be the DROP FDX1 (or, if you like to tinker, get the FD01 or FD02 and modify them yourself, it's easy)
Again, smooth and clean sound with great timbre and balance, nice bass rumble, good soundstage, overall very coherent and great value.

May 6, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks again all, I'm narrowing down the list, then you lot are adding more :D :D :D

Up to now, I can get a set of those FDX1, then there's the Dunu dk2001 and I can source a set of Fearless S8F all are in the running at the moment and maybe the moondrop blessing 2...but I just don't know what I want :D

Such a shame that there's no way to demo before I buy :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks again all, I'm narrowing down the list, then you lot are adding more :D :D :D

Up to now, I can get a set of those FDX1, then there's the Dunu dk2001 and I can source a set of Fearless S8F all are in the running at the moment and maybe the moondrop blessing 2...but I just don't know what I want :D

Such a shame that there's no way to demo before I buy :frowning2:
Nice selection!
Based on frequency responses, technology and reviews I assume:
S8F: fast detailed, bass/treble boosted
Blessing 2: upper mid focused, leaner bass, also technical but well tuned detail and good timbre
Dunu - no idea
FDX1 - 3 tunings with included nozzles - from upper mid focused, bright, to lightly bright balanced to slightly warmish balanced. Smooth, good detail and good rumble, less aggressive treble
(If you buy used, be careful, there have been some samples with QC issues. I had to return mine, they had almost no bass at all, like -10dB compared to my FD02)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back